Despite a slow start and a late comeback, BYU defeated Loyola Marymount on the road, 73-70.
BYU was looking for a victory to bounce back after dropping Thursday's home contest vs. the Gonzaga Bulldogs.
Once again the Cougars had some early foul trouble as Brandon Davies picked up two early fouls. However, smart rotations from BYU coach Dave Rose helped prevent any players from fouling out. Davies finished the game with 11 points and eight rebounds.
Tyler Haws was the outstanding player for the Cougars, scoring 24 points and making 14 out of 14 free throws.
Anthony Ireland also had 24 points for the Lions, as LMU almost overcame a 15-point deficit. However, despite this it was BYU that achieved the morale-boosting win.
This win helped BYU to clinch the third seed in the West Coast Conference standings, and the Cougars will play their first game in the West Coast Conference tournament on Friday, March 8, at 9:30 p.m. MST.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 46
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 36
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8