Despite a slow start and a late comeback, BYU defeated Loyola Marymount on the road, 73-70.
BYU was looking for a victory to bounce back after dropping Thursday's home contest vs. the Gonzaga Bulldogs.
Once again the Cougars had some early foul trouble as Brandon Davies picked up two early fouls. However, smart rotations from BYU coach Dave Rose helped prevent any players from fouling out. Davies finished the game with 11 points and eight rebounds.
Tyler Haws was the outstanding player for the Cougars, scoring 24 points and making 14 out of 14 free throws.
Anthony Ireland also had 24 points for the Lions, as LMU almost overcame a 15-point deficit. However, despite this it was BYU that achieved the morale-boosting win.
This win helped BYU to clinch the third seed in the West Coast Conference standings, and the Cougars will play their first game in the West Coast Conference tournament on Friday, March 8, at 9:30 p.m. MST.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- BYU coach Shawn Olmstead provided calming...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 25