Despite a slow start and a late comeback, BYU defeated Loyola Marymount on the road, 73-70.
BYU was looking for a victory to bounce back after dropping Thursday's home contest vs. the Gonzaga Bulldogs.
Once again the Cougars had some early foul trouble as Brandon Davies picked up two early fouls. However, smart rotations from BYU coach Dave Rose helped prevent any players from fouling out. Davies finished the game with 11 points and eight rebounds.
Tyler Haws was the outstanding player for the Cougars, scoring 24 points and making 14 out of 14 free throws.
Anthony Ireland also had 24 points for the Lions, as LMU almost overcame a 15-point deficit. However, despite this it was BYU that achieved the morale-boosting win.
This win helped BYU to clinch the third seed in the West Coast Conference standings, and the Cougars will play their first game in the West Coast Conference tournament on Friday, March 8, at 9:30 p.m. MST.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 80
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34