Despite a slow start and a late comeback, BYU defeated Loyola Marymount on the road, 73-70.
BYU was looking for a victory to bounce back after dropping Thursday's home contest vs. the Gonzaga Bulldogs.
Once again the Cougars had some early foul trouble as Brandon Davies picked up two early fouls. However, smart rotations from BYU coach Dave Rose helped prevent any players from fouling out. Davies finished the game with 11 points and eight rebounds.
Tyler Haws was the outstanding player for the Cougars, scoring 24 points and making 14 out of 14 free throws.
Anthony Ireland also had 24 points for the Lions, as LMU almost overcame a 15-point deficit. However, despite this it was BYU that achieved the morale-boosting win.
This win helped BYU to clinch the third seed in the West Coast Conference standings, and the Cougars will play their first game in the West Coast Conference tournament on Friday, March 8, at 9:30 p.m. MST.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 43
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 36