BYU tennis: women's netters fall short in Deseret First Duel
PROVO, Utah – The BYU women’s tennis team fell to Utah 5-2 in the Deseret First Duel on Saturday at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts.
“We fought hard, but I think we beat ourselves today,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “I think the emotions are a little higher in these rivalry matches. Whether one team is ranked or not, it could always go either way.”
The Utes (5-2) took the doubles point by sweeping all three matches. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Nicolette Tran were topped by No. 17 Tereza Bekerova and Paige Miles on Court 1. Elena Najera-Salas and Natasha Smith squeaked past Morgan Anderson and Mackenna Maddox on Court 2, 7-6.
The Cougars (5-2) earned the first singles point as Nicolette Tran quickly defeated Najera-Salas 6-1, 6-0 on Court 4.
Then on Court 2, Anderson notched BYU’s second point with a win over Sarah Pham 6-3, 6-4.
“Morgan had been struggling lately, but she played tough today,” Jones-Spencer said. “She stayed positive, executed her game well and she broke through. It was a huge win for her.”
Desiree Tran forced No. 79 Bekerova to three sets but fell short 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 on Court 1.
BYU’s next match is on the road against Oregon on Friday at 1 p.m. PST.
Doubles 1. Bekerova/Miles (UU) def. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) 8-3 2. Najera-Salas/Smith (UU) def. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) 7-6 3. Craig/Pham (UU) def. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) 8-3 Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
Singles 1. Tereza Bekerova (UU) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 2. Morgan Anderson (BYU) def. Sarah Pham (UU) 6-3, 6-4 3. Callie Craig (UU) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 7-6(6), 6-0 4. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Elena Najera-Salas (UU) 6-1, 6-0 5. Natasha Smith (UU) def. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-0 6. Paige Miles (UU) def. Aubrey Paul (BYU) 6-3, 6-2 Order of finish: 4, 2, 3, 1, 6, 5
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Federer out to turn around frustrating season...
- With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in...
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- National champion Sam Mikulak leads US men's...
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 87
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 56
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 50
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18