BYU tennis: women's netters fall short in Deseret First Duel
PROVO, Utah – The BYU women’s tennis team fell to Utah 5-2 in the Deseret First Duel on Saturday at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts.
“We fought hard, but I think we beat ourselves today,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “I think the emotions are a little higher in these rivalry matches. Whether one team is ranked or not, it could always go either way.”
The Utes (5-2) took the doubles point by sweeping all three matches. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Nicolette Tran were topped by No. 17 Tereza Bekerova and Paige Miles on Court 1. Elena Najera-Salas and Natasha Smith squeaked past Morgan Anderson and Mackenna Maddox on Court 2, 7-6.
The Cougars (5-2) earned the first singles point as Nicolette Tran quickly defeated Najera-Salas 6-1, 6-0 on Court 4.
Then on Court 2, Anderson notched BYU’s second point with a win over Sarah Pham 6-3, 6-4.
“Morgan had been struggling lately, but she played tough today,” Jones-Spencer said. “She stayed positive, executed her game well and she broke through. It was a huge win for her.”
Desiree Tran forced No. 79 Bekerova to three sets but fell short 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 on Court 1.
BYU’s next match is on the road against Oregon on Friday at 1 p.m. PST.
Doubles 1. Bekerova/Miles (UU) def. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) 8-3 2. Najera-Salas/Smith (UU) def. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) 7-6 3. Craig/Pham (UU) def. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) 8-3 Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
Singles 1. Tereza Bekerova (UU) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 2. Morgan Anderson (BYU) def. Sarah Pham (UU) 6-3, 6-4 3. Callie Craig (UU) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 7-6(6), 6-0 4. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Elena Najera-Salas (UU) 6-1, 6-0 5. Natasha Smith (UU) def. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-0 6. Paige Miles (UU) def. Aubrey Paul (BYU) 6-3, 6-2 Order of finish: 4, 2, 3, 1, 6, 5
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- Things won't get any easier for disappointed...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead, game to...
- Mike Sorensen: 5 reasons to be excited (or...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 280
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 87
- Things won't get any easier for... 64
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 50
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- Utah football pre-game day roundup:... 19