It stayed close for a quarter, but Lone Peak began to pull away in the second quarter of Saturday's 5A boys basketball championship, beating Alta 72-39.
It is the third straight state title for the Knights, who are currently ranked No. 1 in the country by MaxPreps
Read prep editor James Edward's full game recap: Lone Peak caps dream season with 5A title
Eric Mika paced the Lone Peak attack, registering a double-double with 16 points and 18 rebounds. The Knights finished with 28 offensive rebounds.
Alta kept within striking distance through the first quarter, trailing 17-11 after one period. But Lone Peak outscored the Hawks 43-22 in the second and third quarters to cruise to the championship.
Talon Shumway shared the scoring lead with Mika, pouring in 16 while hitting two of the Knights' seven 3-pointers. Despite some early foul trouble, senior guard Nick Emery finished with 13 points and three rebounds.
Lone Peak also got strong all-around efforts from T.J. Haws and Conner Toolson. Toolson scored 10 points, including a pair of 3-pointers, and picked up five rebounds and three steals; Haws had 11 points, eight assists, four rebounds and two steals.
Zach Rollins led Alta with 12 points, including a 3-pointer, and had two rebounds and two assists.
Here is a selection of some of the top tweets about the championship game.
- Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 4: Ranking the...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Branden Bowen commits...
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- BYU football: No rest for BYU defense during...
- Ute coach Kyle Whittingham congratulates...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Knuckleheads with...
- Pac-12 conference is off to strong start in 2014
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 163
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 113
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 84
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads... 28