It stayed close for a quarter, but Lone Peak began to pull away in the second quarter of Saturday's 5A boys basketball championship, beating Alta 72-39.
It is the third straight state title for the Knights, who are currently ranked No. 1 in the country by MaxPreps
Read prep editor James Edward's full game recap: Lone Peak caps dream season with 5A title
Eric Mika paced the Lone Peak attack, registering a double-double with 16 points and 18 rebounds. The Knights finished with 28 offensive rebounds.
Alta kept within striking distance through the first quarter, trailing 17-11 after one period. But Lone Peak outscored the Hawks 43-22 in the second and third quarters to cruise to the championship.
Talon Shumway shared the scoring lead with Mika, pouring in 16 while hitting two of the Knights' seven 3-pointers. Despite some early foul trouble, senior guard Nick Emery finished with 13 points and three rebounds.
Lone Peak also got strong all-around efforts from T.J. Haws and Conner Toolson. Toolson scored 10 points, including a pair of 3-pointers, and picked up five rebounds and three steals; Haws had 11 points, eight assists, four rebounds and two steals.
Zach Rollins led Alta with 12 points, including a 3-pointer, and had two rebounds and two assists.
Here is a selection of some of the top tweets about the championship game.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 110
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 81
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 50
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33