It stayed close for a quarter, but Lone Peak began to pull away in the second quarter of Saturday's 5A boys basketball championship, beating Alta 72-39.
It is the third straight state title for the Knights, who are currently ranked No. 1 in the country by MaxPreps
Read prep editor James Edward's full game recap: Lone Peak caps dream season with 5A title
Eric Mika paced the Lone Peak attack, registering a double-double with 16 points and 18 rebounds. The Knights finished with 28 offensive rebounds.
Alta kept within striking distance through the first quarter, trailing 17-11 after one period. But Lone Peak outscored the Hawks 43-22 in the second and third quarters to cruise to the championship.
Talon Shumway shared the scoring lead with Mika, pouring in 16 while hitting two of the Knights' seven 3-pointers. Despite some early foul trouble, senior guard Nick Emery finished with 13 points and three rebounds.
Lone Peak also got strong all-around efforts from T.J. Haws and Conner Toolson. Toolson scored 10 points, including a pair of 3-pointers, and picked up five rebounds and three steals; Haws had 11 points, eight assists, four rebounds and two steals.
Zach Rollins led Alta with 12 points, including a 3-pointer, and had two rebounds and two assists.
Here is a selection of some of the top tweets about the championship game.
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 105
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 70
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44