It stayed close for a quarter, but Lone Peak began to pull away in the second quarter of Saturday's 5A boys basketball championship, beating Alta 72-39.
It is the third straight state title for the Knights, who are currently ranked No. 1 in the country by MaxPreps
Read prep editor James Edward's full game recap: Lone Peak caps dream season with 5A title
Eric Mika paced the Lone Peak attack, registering a double-double with 16 points and 18 rebounds. The Knights finished with 28 offensive rebounds.
Alta kept within striking distance through the first quarter, trailing 17-11 after one period. But Lone Peak outscored the Hawks 43-22 in the second and third quarters to cruise to the championship.
Talon Shumway shared the scoring lead with Mika, pouring in 16 while hitting two of the Knights' seven 3-pointers. Despite some early foul trouble, senior guard Nick Emery finished with 13 points and three rebounds.
Lone Peak also got strong all-around efforts from T.J. Haws and Conner Toolson. Toolson scored 10 points, including a pair of 3-pointers, and picked up five rebounds and three steals; Haws had 11 points, eight assists, four rebounds and two steals.
Zach Rollins led Alta with 12 points, including a 3-pointer, and had two rebounds and two assists.
Here is a selection of some of the top tweets about the championship game.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28