It stayed close for a quarter, but Lone Peak began to pull away in the second quarter of Saturday's 5A boys basketball championship, beating Alta 72-39.
It is the third straight state title for the Knights, who are currently ranked No. 1 in the country by MaxPreps
Read prep editor James Edward's full game recap: Lone Peak caps dream season with 5A title
Eric Mika paced the Lone Peak attack, registering a double-double with 16 points and 18 rebounds. The Knights finished with 28 offensive rebounds.
Alta kept within striking distance through the first quarter, trailing 17-11 after one period. But Lone Peak outscored the Hawks 43-22 in the second and third quarters to cruise to the championship.
Talon Shumway shared the scoring lead with Mika, pouring in 16 while hitting two of the Knights' seven 3-pointers. Despite some early foul trouble, senior guard Nick Emery finished with 13 points and three rebounds.
Lone Peak also got strong all-around efforts from T.J. Haws and Conner Toolson. Toolson scored 10 points, including a pair of 3-pointers, and picked up five rebounds and three steals; Haws had 11 points, eight assists, four rebounds and two steals.
Zach Rollins led Alta with 12 points, including a 3-pointer, and had two rebounds and two assists.
Here is a selection of some of the top tweets about the championship game.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28