BYU tennis: Cougars splits match in first day of HEB Tournament
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas – In the first day of the HEB Tournament of Champions, the No. 30 BYU men’s tennis team bounced back to defeat Western Michigan 4-2 after falling to Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Friday.
“It was a perfect storm of adversity to draw the home team in our first match transitioning from a month of indoor tennis at altitude to a seal level match outdoors on a hot sunny day,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “The Islanders deserve credit for playing inspired tennis.”
The Cougars (11-3) started the day by earning the doubles point against the Islanders. Patrick Kawka and Francis Sargeant got the first victory of the day on Court 1 by topping Peter Nagy and Odon Barta 8-4.
On Court 3, Keaton Cullimore and John Pearce secured the doubles point with an 8-4 win over Gergo Weidinger and Guillaume Rauseo. The duo of Spencer Smith and Travis Fillmore fell short in a long match 9-8 (2).
BYU’s momentum did not carry over into the singles matches, however, as Texas A&M-Corpus Christi went on to win four-straight matches and the overall duel.
At 4 p.m. the Cougars faced the Broncos. Due to the rules of the tournament, the two teams only played singles.
Kawka earned a point for BYU as he defeated Nadin Indre in three sets, 5-7, 7-5, 6-3.
Sargeant and Cullimore each topped their opponents in decisive matches. On Court 6, Pearce also earned a 6-2, 7-5 win over Andrew Cahn.
BYU plays in the last match of the tournament on Saturday against South Alabama.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 4, BYU 1
1. Kawka/Sargeant (BYU) def. Nagy/Barta (AMCC) 8-4
2. Smith/Fillmore (BYU) def. Westmoreland/Maingot (AMCC) 9-8(2)
3. Weidinger/Rauseo (AMCC) def. Cullimore/Pearce (BYU) 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Peter Nagy (AMCC) def. Patrick Kawka (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Matt Westmoreland (AMCC) def. Spencer Smith (BYU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Gergo Weidinger (AMCC) vs. Francis Sargeant (BYU) 5-7, 3-4 (DNF)
4. Guillaume Rauseo (AMCC) vs. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) 5-7, 5-5 (DNF)
5. Javier Pujol (AMCC) def. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Ricardo Mayagoitia (AMCC) def. John Pearce (BYU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 5, 6, 2
BYU 4, Western Michigan 2
1. Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Nadin Indre (WMU) 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
2. Ross VanderPloeg (WMU) def. Spencer Smith (BYU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Francis Sargeant (BYU) def. Aaron Wong (WMU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) def. Ruben Greiner (WMU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Pablo Mora (WMU) def. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) 6-4, 6-1
6. John Pearce (BYU) def. Andrew Cahn (WMU) 6-2, 7-5
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45