Mark Wetzel, Deseret News
HERRIMAN — After months of debate over a proposed outdoor shooting range, the Herriman City Council decided to scrap its current plans and start the process over.
In recent months, the council heard objections to the plan and decided against that location near 15400 South and 4300 West. The city has a 40-acre donated parcel of land where it could build a 15-acre range.
"I know the folks that are close to the proposal are in general not for it, and I've heard them,” Councilman Mike Day said. “But if we found the right location, something could work out."
Council members still want a public gun range in the city. Because the land was donated, funding will be a concern for a new location.
Ira Burton and his neighbors live within 1 ½ miles of the proposed gun range site. They didn’t oppose a range or guns; they just didn’t like the proposed location. They felt it was a little too close to the existing homes and schools.
"We think Herriman can do better,” Burton said. “We think that instead of building a small temporary shooting range, we should be able to build a world-class facility that will meet the needs of not just gun enthusiasts, but others as well."
In addition to the public safety concern, residents said they were worried about noise and their property values.
There were several fires sparked by gunfire in recent years, including last summer's Dump Fire in Saratoga Springs and the 2010 Machine Gun Fire in Herriman.
City leaders say a gun range might help with wildfires, because people who go off into the foothills now to shoot might go to the range instead. The ground would be cleared of grass and weeds, so nothing would spark a fire.
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Living — or dying — with...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 260
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 97
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 87
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 68
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 61
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 53
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35