University of Utah evacuates 2 student housing buildings after gas leak
SALT LAKE CITY — More than 100 residents of University of Utah student housing buildings were evacuated overnight Thursday after a gas leak was detected between two buildings.
The first report came in at 11:30 a.m. from a housing maintenance worker who noticed an unusually strong scent of natural gas, U. Fire Marshal Mike Halligan said. A repair was made, but about 5:30 p.m., another reading determined gas levels were back up.
Crews later confirmed there was a gas leak between two residential housing buildings on a line that served six buildings. Of the 300 people in the buildings, 129 were evacuated overnight, Halligan said.
Students were given the option of staying with family or friends or in another residence hall. All but 35 were able to find a place with family or friends, Halligan said.
"The buildings on the interior were fine all along," he said. "Any time you have natural gas flowing and it's not where you want it to be, you want to make sure it's safe and evaluate the circumstances."
Questar Gas officials responded, made repairs and inspected the rest of the gas line. Students were allowed back into the building around 8:30 a.m. Friday.
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 89
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 31
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 18
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16