Man convicted of aggravated murder in '07 revenge slaying
SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of shooting and killing another man for testifying against his friend in 2007 was found guilty Thursday.
After seven hours of deliberation, a jury convicted Anthony James Prater, 28, of aggravated murder and obstruction of justice, first-degree felonies; and five counts of discharging a firearm from a vehicle, a third-degree felony.
Prater shot and killed Vincent Samora, 35, on Nov. 27, 2007.
Samora had testified against Christopher Archuleta, a Salt Lake man convicted of shooting Samora in the stomach in 2005. Archuleta and Prater were cellmates in the Utah State Prison, according to police.
Prater fired eight rounds at Samora just after he pulled into the driveway of his mother's home, 1250 W. Glendale Drive (1350 South). Samora was shot in the back and died of his wounds.
A confidential informant stepped forward and identified Prater as the shooter.
Ryan Hall Sheppard, 32, was accused of driving the car used in the shooting and was charged with murder and obstruction of justice, first-degree felonies; and discharging a firearm from a vehicle, a third-degree felony, in connection with Samora's death. He has a review hearing set for March 12.
Donna Quintana, 31, was charged with two counts of first-degree felony obstruction of justice for allegedly disposing of the gun used in the shooting and cleaning fingerprints from the car. She pleaded guilty to a single count in 2010 and was sentenced to one year in jail and three years' probation.
Prater's sentencing has been scheduled for May 6 in 3rd District Court.
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Family frustrated with lack of charges in...
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Smithfield man stabbed father to death after...
- Chaffetz attorney calls FEC complaint claims...
- Brewvies wants judge to stop DABC from...
- Charges: Man responsible for death of toddler...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 49
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26
- Report: Spending on charter students... 21
- Utah council wants governor, A.G. probe... 18