Man convicted of aggravated murder in '07 revenge slaying
SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of shooting and killing another man for testifying against his friend in 2007 was found guilty Thursday.
After seven hours of deliberation, a jury convicted Anthony James Prater, 28, of aggravated murder and obstruction of justice, first-degree felonies; and five counts of discharging a firearm from a vehicle, a third-degree felony.
Prater shot and killed Vincent Samora, 35, on Nov. 27, 2007.
Samora had testified against Christopher Archuleta, a Salt Lake man convicted of shooting Samora in the stomach in 2005. Archuleta and Prater were cellmates in the Utah State Prison, according to police.
Prater fired eight rounds at Samora just after he pulled into the driveway of his mother's home, 1250 W. Glendale Drive (1350 South). Samora was shot in the back and died of his wounds.
A confidential informant stepped forward and identified Prater as the shooter.
Ryan Hall Sheppard, 32, was accused of driving the car used in the shooting and was charged with murder and obstruction of justice, first-degree felonies; and discharging a firearm from a vehicle, a third-degree felony, in connection with Samora's death. He has a review hearing set for March 12.
Donna Quintana, 31, was charged with two counts of first-degree felony obstruction of justice for allegedly disposing of the gun used in the shooting and cleaning fingerprints from the car. She pleaded guilty to a single count in 2010 and was sentenced to one year in jail and three years' probation.
Prater's sentencing has been scheduled for May 6 in 3rd District Court.
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- Springville homes evacuated after fireworks...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- 2 killed in Uintah County crash identified as...
- Salt Lake bike share program doubles in size
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 18
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Ogden police shoot dog that was... 10
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 8