Man convicted of aggravated murder in '07 revenge slaying
SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of shooting and killing another man for testifying against his friend in 2007 was found guilty Thursday.
After seven hours of deliberation, a jury convicted Anthony James Prater, 28, of aggravated murder and obstruction of justice, first-degree felonies; and five counts of discharging a firearm from a vehicle, a third-degree felony.
Prater shot and killed Vincent Samora, 35, on Nov. 27, 2007.
Samora had testified against Christopher Archuleta, a Salt Lake man convicted of shooting Samora in the stomach in 2005. Archuleta and Prater were cellmates in the Utah State Prison, according to police.
Prater fired eight rounds at Samora just after he pulled into the driveway of his mother's home, 1250 W. Glendale Drive (1350 South). Samora was shot in the back and died of his wounds.
A confidential informant stepped forward and identified Prater as the shooter.
Ryan Hall Sheppard, 32, was accused of driving the car used in the shooting and was charged with murder and obstruction of justice, first-degree felonies; and discharging a firearm from a vehicle, a third-degree felony, in connection with Samora's death. He has a review hearing set for March 12.
Donna Quintana, 31, was charged with two counts of first-degree felony obstruction of justice for allegedly disposing of the gun used in the shooting and cleaning fingerprints from the car. She pleaded guilty to a single count in 2010 and was sentenced to one year in jail and three years' probation.
Prater's sentencing has been scheduled for May 6 in 3rd District Court.
- Many questions remain in case of baby found...
- Kennecott hopes project will change mountain...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Woman who drank toxic tea credits God, family...
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Judge: Disclosing promises to witnesses...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 46
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 30
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22