SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of shooting and killing another man for testifying against his friend in 2007 was found guilty Thursday.
After seven hours of deliberation, a jury convicted Anthony James Prater, 28, of aggravated murder and obstruction of justice, first-degree felonies; and five counts of discharging a firearm from a vehicle, a third-degree felony.
Prater shot and killed Vincent Samora, 35, on Nov. 27, 2007.
Samora had testified against Christopher Archuleta, a Salt Lake man convicted of shooting Samora in the stomach in 2005. Archuleta and Prater were cellmates in the Utah State Prison, according to police.
Prater fired eight rounds at Samora just after he pulled into the driveway of his mother's home, 1250 W. Glendale Drive (1350 South). Samora was shot in the back and died of his wounds.
A confidential informant stepped forward and identified Prater as the shooter.
Ryan Hall Sheppard, 32, was accused of driving the car used in the shooting and was charged with murder and obstruction of justice, first-degree felonies; and discharging a firearm from a vehicle, a third-degree felony, in connection with Samora's death. He has a review hearing set for March 12.
Donna Quintana, 31, was charged with two counts of first-degree felony obstruction of justice for allegedly disposing of the gun used in the shooting and cleaning fingerprints from the car. She pleaded guilty to a single count in 2010 and was sentenced to one year in jail and three years' probation.
Prater's sentencing has been scheduled for May 6 in 3rd District Court.
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- 'We're not going to stop'
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- Behind the masks: Why some Utahns choose...
- No money for House Speaker Becky Lockhart's...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 34
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Local religious leaders urge support... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 22
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias... 12