BYU rugby: BYU & Deseret Digital Media partner for live broadcast of home games
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
PROVO — The BYU Cougars have finalized a strategic partnership with Deseret Digital Media for online broadcast rights to all BYU rugby home games.
Deseret Digital Media is the online media production arm for NBC affiliate KSL-TV and intermountain-based newspaper corporation The Deseret News.
“Deseret Digital Media is an innovator in the digital media space,” said BYU assistant coach Kimball Kjar who oversees the Cougars’ online presence. “They’ve been disrupting age-old media concepts for a while now and we’re fortunate to have them partner with us.”
All games will also be available online and on-demand after games on BYURugby.com and both DDM media portals.
BYU head coach David Smyth says the new media partnership shows a growing opportunity for college rugby teams to start building marketable brands.
“There’s an interest in rugby,” Smyth said. “People enjoy watching the sport whether they know much about it or not. It’s simply a matter of showcasing it correctly and by partnering with Deseret Digital Media we have a great opportunity to put our brand in front of not only our great fans and alumni, but it also gives us a chance to get our product in front of a wider audience.”
Deseret Digital Media’s General Manager Matthew Sanders echoed Smyth’s sentiments.
“We are thrilled to be the broadcast partner of BYU rugby," Sanders said. “Their student-athletes are both exemplary players and aspire to live lives of high character. We are impressed by their appeal locally and internationally, and the growing popularity of rugby as a sport among spectators and players. BYU’s superior play and competition, combined with our live online broadcast capabilities and increasing digital reach will make a great partnership.”
The inaugural broadcast takes place this Saturday as the Cougars host Utah State University on South Field. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. with gates opening one hour before.
Tickets can be bought at the gate for $8 for adults and $5 for students.
The BYU Rugby program is one of the school's most winning sports teams with just 19 losses in more than 20 years. BYU Rugby won the 2009 Collegiate National Championship and has promoted 28 players to All-American status. For more go to byurugby.com
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22