Nati Harnik, AP
Retirement has a different meaning for 60 percent of workers older than 60.
It means looking for a new job after the initial retirement, according to a survey by CareerBuilder. Last year, 57 percent planned on finding a new job after retirement.
The good news is that 48 percent of employers plan on hiring workers older than 50 this year, which is a 4 percent rise from the 44 percent who did so in 2012. An even larger amount, 76 percent, would consider an applicant in that age range as well.
Brent Rasmussen, President of CareerBuilder North America, suggested ways mature workers can maximize a job search.
“We’re seeing more than three quarters of mature workers putting off retirement, largely due to financial concerns, but also as a personal decision made by people who enjoy their work,” Rasmussen said. “The majority of workers who have talked with their bosses about staying on past retirement found their companies to be open to retaining them. If you’re approaching retirement age but hope to continue working, an open line of communication is very important.”
Those in this age range seeking a job or planning on staying with their original job longer should also stay current by attending seminars and workshops, find new ways to benefit the company, reach out to former colleagues to network and consider part-time or freelance work, according to the survey.
- Happiness research inspired one business...
- How much money should you be saving from each...
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Gambling is losing its appeal in Las Vegas
- Heavy reliance on US not sustainable,...
- Renovation Solutions: Three renovation...
- April 15 may be Tax Day, but Tax Freedom Day...
- Why do only half of Americans invest in stocks?
- Happiness research inspired one... 13
- Heavy reliance on US not sustainable,... 6
- She paid for a family's groceries and... 6
- Why do only half of Americans invest in... 5
- Did you file your taxes jointly or... 4
- Citigroup's earnings rise 21 percent,... 2
- Balancing act: Better balance is top... 2
- Renovation Solutions: Three renovation... 2