Nati Harnik, AP
Retirement has a different meaning for 60 percent of workers older than 60.
It means looking for a new job after the initial retirement, according to a survey by CareerBuilder. Last year, 57 percent planned on finding a new job after retirement.
The good news is that 48 percent of employers plan on hiring workers older than 50 this year, which is a 4 percent rise from the 44 percent who did so in 2012. An even larger amount, 76 percent, would consider an applicant in that age range as well.
Brent Rasmussen, President of CareerBuilder North America, suggested ways mature workers can maximize a job search.
“We’re seeing more than three quarters of mature workers putting off retirement, largely due to financial concerns, but also as a personal decision made by people who enjoy their work,” Rasmussen said. “The majority of workers who have talked with their bosses about staying on past retirement found their companies to be open to retaining them. If you’re approaching retirement age but hope to continue working, an open line of communication is very important.”
Those in this age range seeking a job or planning on staying with their original job longer should also stay current by attending seminars and workshops, find new ways to benefit the company, reach out to former colleagues to network and consider part-time or freelance work, according to the survey.
- Top 50 companies to work for in Utah
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- University of Utah entrepreneurship program...
- Utah job forecast better than most states
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching dollars...
- A Closer Look: Your (online) life after death
- Child poverty just dropped for the first time...
- FedEx to add 50,000 seasonal jobs
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 9
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4
- How employers can improve the nation's... 2
- Utah job forecast better than most states 2
- 5 countries where attitudes about the... 2
- Child poverty just dropped for the... 2