Dewey added 11 points and five more boards for the Bobcats, and it was his bucket with 1:40 to go that broke the 52-all deadlock and sparked Sky View's 10-5 spurt to finish the game. Dewey was a perfect 5-for-5 from the field.
"We knew we were gonna be in for a dogfight," Hillyard said. "It's 52-52 and Matt Dewey makes a great move to the basket and scores that. I'm proud of those guys. They played hard." "That was huge," Nielsen said of Dewey's big basket down the stretch. "He's a stud. I love that kid; I love this whole team, and without them we couldn't be where we're at. And if we keep playing together as a team and just keep getting better and better ..."
Then "two more" wins — and a long-awaited state championship — could be in the Bobcats' immediate future.
For Olympus (17-6), junior forward Alec Monson scored 16 of his team-leading 20 points in the second half, and Coulson Hardy had 19 points on the strength of 8-of-9 shooting with three 3-pointers for the Region 7 champion Titans.
But they saw their 11-game winning streak snapped and somehow lost despite shooting 60 percent (24-of-40) from the field. However, they only went to the foul line three times (3-of-3) compared to 16-of-21 free-throw shooting for Sky View.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 91
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 76
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 50
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 36