Rottweiler shot by police after man attempts to flee
WEST VALLEY CITY — A Rottweiler belonging to a man sought by police was shot and killed Thursday after its owner attempted to evade arrest.
Police got word about 2:15 p.m. of a possible armed assault in Taylorsville. As they headed to the scene to investigate, they learned the man suspected in the attack had fled in a stolen vehicle, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
Police spotted the stolen pickup near 3900 West and 5400 South, where the driver, Guy Lauritzen, 48, pulled into a Little Caesars pizza parking space and parked there until he saw officers approaching.
After Lauritzen pulled out of the parking stall, police attempted a PIT maneuver to stop the truck. When that failed, the pickup rammed a police car head-on and backed out of the parking lot onto 5400 West before three more police vehicles managed to box the truck in, Hoyal said.
When police opened the driver's door, they were met by Lauritzen's dog.
"His Rottweiler jumped over the top of him and came out aggressively, charging our officers," Hoyal said. "Our officers tried to kick the dog away and take a stance to get the dog to stop coming at them, but the dog continued, and they were forced to shoot the dog."
The dog died at the scene, and Lauritzen was taken into custody. He will be investigated for possession of a stolen vehicle, aggravated assault on a police officer, assault and fleeing from police.
Contributing: Paul Nelson
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Splashing through the city: Giant slip and...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- A photographic look at how Days of '47 floats...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 75
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 71
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Herbert on Common Core: 'We are going... 37
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- $1.8B project to take Salt Lake City... 17
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14