Rottweiler shot by police after man attempts to flee
WEST VALLEY CITY — A Rottweiler belonging to a man sought by police was shot and killed Thursday after its owner attempted to evade arrest.
Police got word about 2:15 p.m. of a possible armed assault in Taylorsville. As they headed to the scene to investigate, they learned the man suspected in the attack had fled in a stolen vehicle, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
Police spotted the stolen pickup near 3900 West and 5400 South, where the driver, Guy Lauritzen, 48, pulled into a Little Caesars pizza parking space and parked there until he saw officers approaching.
After Lauritzen pulled out of the parking stall, police attempted a PIT maneuver to stop the truck. When that failed, the pickup rammed a police car head-on and backed out of the parking lot onto 5400 West before three more police vehicles managed to box the truck in, Hoyal said.
When police opened the driver's door, they were met by Lauritzen's dog.
"His Rottweiler jumped over the top of him and came out aggressively, charging our officers," Hoyal said. "Our officers tried to kick the dog away and take a stance to get the dog to stop coming at them, but the dog continued, and they were forced to shoot the dog."
The dog died at the scene, and Lauritzen was taken into custody. He will be investigated for possession of a stolen vehicle, aggravated assault on a police officer, assault and fleeing from police.
Contributing: Paul Nelson
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Pleasant View fire contained Saturday;...
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Holladay woman dies rock climbing in Maple...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 22
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 16
- Two Utah schools under federal... 13