Rottweiler shot by police after man attempts to flee
WEST VALLEY CITY — A Rottweiler belonging to a man sought by police was shot and killed Thursday after its owner attempted to evade arrest.
Police got word about 2:15 p.m. of a possible armed assault in Taylorsville. As they headed to the scene to investigate, they learned the man suspected in the attack had fled in a stolen vehicle, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
Police spotted the stolen pickup near 3900 West and 5400 South, where the driver, Guy Lauritzen, 48, pulled into a Little Caesars pizza parking space and parked there until he saw officers approaching.
After Lauritzen pulled out of the parking stall, police attempted a PIT maneuver to stop the truck. When that failed, the pickup rammed a police car head-on and backed out of the parking lot onto 5400 West before three more police vehicles managed to box the truck in, Hoyal said.
When police opened the driver's door, they were met by Lauritzen's dog.
"His Rottweiler jumped over the top of him and came out aggressively, charging our officers," Hoyal said. "Our officers tried to kick the dog away and take a stance to get the dog to stop coming at them, but the dog continued, and they were forced to shoot the dog."
The dog died at the scene, and Lauritzen was taken into custody. He will be investigated for possession of a stolen vehicle, aggravated assault on a police officer, assault and fleeing from police.
Contributing: Paul Nelson
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 56
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 39
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 38
- President Obama to make first trip to... 32
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 29
- Tea party movement still strong,... 23
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 18
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 14