Rottweiler shot by police after man attempts to flee
WEST VALLEY CITY — A Rottweiler belonging to a man sought by police was shot and killed Thursday after its owner attempted to evade arrest.
Police got word about 2:15 p.m. of a possible armed assault in Taylorsville. As they headed to the scene to investigate, they learned the man suspected in the attack had fled in a stolen vehicle, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
Police spotted the stolen pickup near 3900 West and 5400 South, where the driver, Guy Lauritzen, 48, pulled into a Little Caesars pizza parking space and parked there until he saw officers approaching.
After Lauritzen pulled out of the parking stall, police attempted a PIT maneuver to stop the truck. When that failed, the pickup rammed a police car head-on and backed out of the parking lot onto 5400 West before three more police vehicles managed to box the truck in, Hoyal said.
When police opened the driver's door, they were met by Lauritzen's dog.
"His Rottweiler jumped over the top of him and came out aggressively, charging our officers," Hoyal said. "Our officers tried to kick the dog away and take a stance to get the dog to stop coming at them, but the dog continued, and they were forced to shoot the dog."
The dog died at the scene, and Lauritzen was taken into custody. He will be investigated for possession of a stolen vehicle, aggravated assault on a police officer, assault and fleeing from police.
Contributing: Paul Nelson
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay...
- Wanted Layton man dies in New Mexico plane crash
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Duct tape prom attire earns Utah teens $5,000...
- Salt Lake City mayor's spokesman placed on...
- Alleged sexual abuser on the run for 17 years...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 303
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 142
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 109
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 68
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 46
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 46
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 36