Rottweiler shot by police after man attempts to flee
WEST VALLEY CITY — A Rottweiler belonging to a man sought by police was shot and killed Thursday after its owner attempted to evade arrest.
Police got word about 2:15 p.m. of a possible armed assault in Taylorsville. As they headed to the scene to investigate, they learned the man suspected in the attack had fled in a stolen vehicle, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
Police spotted the stolen pickup near 3900 West and 5400 South, where the driver, Guy Lauritzen, 48, pulled into a Little Caesars pizza parking space and parked there until he saw officers approaching.
After Lauritzen pulled out of the parking stall, police attempted a PIT maneuver to stop the truck. When that failed, the pickup rammed a police car head-on and backed out of the parking lot onto 5400 West before three more police vehicles managed to box the truck in, Hoyal said.
When police opened the driver's door, they were met by Lauritzen's dog.
"His Rottweiler jumped over the top of him and came out aggressively, charging our officers," Hoyal said. "Our officers tried to kick the dog away and take a stance to get the dog to stop coming at them, but the dog continued, and they were forced to shoot the dog."
The dog died at the scene, and Lauritzen was taken into custody. He will be investigated for possession of a stolen vehicle, aggravated assault on a police officer, assault and fleeing from police.
Contributing: Paul Nelson
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- Mitt Romney talks pioneers, family tradition...
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows 'deep...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 20
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 11
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9