Alex Cabrero, Deseret News
KEARNS — Benedict XVI received an emotional send-off Thursday as he began his journey into retirement.
At St. Francis Xavier Catholic School in Kearns, teachers and students reflected on what the historical day in the Catholic Church meant to them.
“Tradition is important and it’s a very strong part of the Catholic Church, but responsibility to all of the Catholics in the world is much more important,” said eight-grade teacher Veronica Brand. “I’m very impressed the pope made that step.”
Benedict announced he was resigning because he no longer had the strength to fulfill his duties of his office.
“His health wasn’t the best, so he couldn’t really leave the church, so it’s better for the church if we have a healthier pope,” eight-grader Connor Dumont said.
Myranda Alcas, also an eight-grader, said Benedict’s decision to resign was a surprise, but said: “If I was the pope, I think I would probably retire too, if my health was bad.”
His decision to retire wasn’t a radical idea to them, Brand said.
“He’s the only pope they have ever known,” she said. “It makes sense to them that he would retire. They know people that retire.”
The Most Rev. John C. Wester, bishop of the Salt Lake Diocese, said there’s a sense of sadness in the community and people don’t like to say goodbye. He watched history in the making as Benedict made his final public remarks as pope. He said there was an outpouring of affection for the 85-year-old.
“He’s a kind, gentle, gracious gentlemen in the true sense of that word, and I think people pick up on that,” Bishop Wester said. “They are now realizing, as we often do as human beings when things come to an end, how much they did appreciate him and how grateful they are to him.”
The chair of Peter is vacant until a new pope is elected. Bishop Wester said he believes the world’s 1.2 billion Catholics will have a new leader before Easter.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 129
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 19