BYU track: Rachel Fisher fights for shot at Nationals in pole vault
PROVO, Utah – BYU women’s track and field athlete Rachel Fisher heads back to Washington this weekend for the UW Final Qualifier for one last chance to compete at Nationals.
The UW Final Qualifier in one of the smallest and quickest meets held this year at the Dempsey Indoor Track, as teams will only send a handful of athletes with realistic chances of making it to Nationals.
“Rachel has an excellent chance in vaulting high enough to qualify,” head coach Patrick Shane said. “In the past, we have typically had a lot of success at this meet. A good percentage of our athletes end up qualifying, and we have high expectations for Rachel as well.”
Prior to the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championships, Fisher finished first in four out of her five meets. During the Cherry and Silver Invitational, as well as the Armory Collegiate Invitational, she vaulted 4.10 meters, a height she has not reached since competing in the BYU Indoor Invitational in 2012.
Live results can be found on the Huskies website. The meet will begin on Friday at 6 p.m. PST.
Steven Tew is an SID at BYU Athletic Communications. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 95
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 78
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 59
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 42