Utah Jazz: Team shorthanded because of injuries and baby deliveries
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Jazz players had plenty of elbow room at this morning's practice.
At least those in attendance did.
For various reasons, the Jazz only had nine fully healthy players for their off-day workout session at Zions Bank Baskeball Center.
It's uncertain how many they'll have available for Friday's home game against Charlotte.
Neither Paul Millsap nor Randy Foye were at practice because their significant others are expecting to deliver their babies sometime today.
Millsap is still dealing with his sprained left ankle issue, so it's not certain the power forward would've practiced after missing Wednesday's 102-91 loss to Atlanta anyway.
The Jazz are also without starting center Al Jefferson, who is also nursing a sprained left ankle injury.
Reserve forward DeMarre Carroll tweaked his knee in Wednesday's loss. Carroll couldn't practice because he's undergoing an MRI test to evaluate the extent of an injury he believed was a hyperextension.
Point guard Mo Williams is at practice, but his surgically repaired right thumb hasn't progressed enough to participate in contact drills quite yet.
The Jazz, of course, are also without Raja Bell, who's exiled in Miami.
"It's a difficult situation, but it's where it is," Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said. "We'll try and get through the day and hopefully we'll see where we're at in the morning and see who we have in uniform tomorrow night."
The Jazz have dropped to 31-27 after losing three games in a row, so the injury situation certainly adds an element of difficulty in an already tough time.
"Guys will give a good effort," Corbin said. "We'll continue to do that, try and move things around. I'll have to ask guys to do a few different things than they're normally doing, but we just have to make our way."
- Dick Harmon: The night the rim got wide as a...
- Emery scores 31 as BYU crushes Santa Clara,...
- Jazz's trio of Rising Stars reflects on...
- Jimmer Fredette named D-League All-Star MVP,...
- 5A state swimming: Sky View girls surprise...
- MVP Jimmer Fredette puts on a show at the...
- Can Cougars sweep their first WCC road trip...
- Hood earns bragging rights over Lyles and...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to... 73
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 61
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 50
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 45
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric... 38