Utah Jazz: Team shorthanded because of injuries and baby deliveries
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Jazz players had plenty of elbow room at this morning's practice.
At least those in attendance did.
For various reasons, the Jazz only had nine fully healthy players for their off-day workout session at Zions Bank Baskeball Center.
It's uncertain how many they'll have available for Friday's home game against Charlotte.
Neither Paul Millsap nor Randy Foye were at practice because their significant others are expecting to deliver their babies sometime today.
Millsap is still dealing with his sprained left ankle issue, so it's not certain the power forward would've practiced after missing Wednesday's 102-91 loss to Atlanta anyway.
The Jazz are also without starting center Al Jefferson, who is also nursing a sprained left ankle injury.
Reserve forward DeMarre Carroll tweaked his knee in Wednesday's loss. Carroll couldn't practice because he's undergoing an MRI test to evaluate the extent of an injury he believed was a hyperextension.
Point guard Mo Williams is at practice, but his surgically repaired right thumb hasn't progressed enough to participate in contact drills quite yet.
The Jazz, of course, are also without Raja Bell, who's exiled in Miami.
"It's a difficult situation, but it's where it is," Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said. "We'll try and get through the day and hopefully we'll see where we're at in the morning and see who we have in uniform tomorrow night."
The Jazz have dropped to 31-27 after losing three games in a row, so the injury situation certainly adds an element of difficulty in an already tough time.
"Guys will give a good effort," Corbin said. "We'll continue to do that, try and move things around. I'll have to ask guys to do a few different things than they're normally doing, but we just have to make our way."
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame like...
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will...
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- Reports: Former BYU star Brett Keisel agrees...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 133
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 94
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 72
- ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as... 64
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 45
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29