SANDY — An Alta High School senior saxophonist has earned a seat with a national jazz band.
Jacob White has been named to the Music for All's Jazz Band of America, an ensemble of the nation's elite student jazz music artists. White is the Alta Jazz Band president and saxophone section leader.
He will travel to Indianapolis to perform with the Jazz Band of America at the Music for All National Festival March 14-16.
"Jake has made more progress in three years than any student I have ever taught," Alta band teacher Bill Mattingly said. "He came in as a sophomore with some raw talent, but has developed into the most professional sounding saxophonist ever to come out of Alta. It has truly been an honor to teach, mentor and work with him."
White, who started his promising music career as a pianist, also has been named to the Utah All-State Jazz Band, is a two-time member of the Crescent Super Band, and has won outstanding soloist awards at the Peaks Jazz Festival and Utah State Jazz Festival.
- Boulder slams into Rockville home, killing two
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in ongoing...
- Orangeville couple killed in head-on crash
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Ex-nurse accused of sexually abusing,...
- Man accused in wife's death loved her, 'had...
- National Weather Service radar mistakes swans...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 38
- Do Utah high school students need four... 32
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in... 21
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 20
- Young adults are faced with risky... 17
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11