SANDY — An Alta High School senior saxophonist has earned a seat with a national jazz band.
Jacob White has been named to the Music for All's Jazz Band of America, an ensemble of the nation's elite student jazz music artists. White is the Alta Jazz Band president and saxophone section leader.
He will travel to Indianapolis to perform with the Jazz Band of America at the Music for All National Festival March 14-16.
"Jake has made more progress in three years than any student I have ever taught," Alta band teacher Bill Mattingly said. "He came in as a sophomore with some raw talent, but has developed into the most professional sounding saxophonist ever to come out of Alta. It has truly been an honor to teach, mentor and work with him."
White, who started his promising music career as a pianist, also has been named to the Utah All-State Jazz Band, is a two-time member of the Crescent Super Band, and has won outstanding soloist awards at the Peaks Jazz Festival and Utah State Jazz Festival.
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Draper house explodes into flames (+videos)
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Missouri hiker found dead in hot Wayne County...
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11