SANDY — An Alta High School senior saxophonist has earned a seat with a national jazz band.
Jacob White has been named to the Music for All's Jazz Band of America, an ensemble of the nation's elite student jazz music artists. White is the Alta Jazz Band president and saxophone section leader.
He will travel to Indianapolis to perform with the Jazz Band of America at the Music for All National Festival March 14-16.
"Jake has made more progress in three years than any student I have ever taught," Alta band teacher Bill Mattingly said. "He came in as a sophomore with some raw talent, but has developed into the most professional sounding saxophonist ever to come out of Alta. It has truly been an honor to teach, mentor and work with him."
White, who started his promising music career as a pianist, also has been named to the Utah All-State Jazz Band, is a two-time member of the Crescent Super Band, and has won outstanding soloist awards at the Peaks Jazz Festival and Utah State Jazz Festival.
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- Missing 18-month-old Layton boy found...
- Man injured in police shooting identified
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Federal judge halts Herbert directive... 39
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 23
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19