SANDY — An Alta High School senior saxophonist has earned a seat with a national jazz band.
Jacob White has been named to the Music for All's Jazz Band of America, an ensemble of the nation's elite student jazz music artists. White is the Alta Jazz Band president and saxophone section leader.
He will travel to Indianapolis to perform with the Jazz Band of America at the Music for All National Festival March 14-16.
"Jake has made more progress in three years than any student I have ever taught," Alta band teacher Bill Mattingly said. "He came in as a sophomore with some raw talent, but has developed into the most professional sounding saxophonist ever to come out of Alta. It has truly been an honor to teach, mentor and work with him."
White, who started his promising music career as a pianist, also has been named to the Utah All-State Jazz Band, is a two-time member of the Crescent Super Band, and has won outstanding soloist awards at the Peaks Jazz Festival and Utah State Jazz Festival.
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- What to do after the presents are opened?...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 123
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested... 12
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 12
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9