SANDY — An Alta High School senior saxophonist has earned a seat with a national jazz band.
Jacob White has been named to the Music for All's Jazz Band of America, an ensemble of the nation's elite student jazz music artists. White is the Alta Jazz Band president and saxophone section leader.
He will travel to Indianapolis to perform with the Jazz Band of America at the Music for All National Festival March 14-16.
"Jake has made more progress in three years than any student I have ever taught," Alta band teacher Bill Mattingly said. "He came in as a sophomore with some raw talent, but has developed into the most professional sounding saxophonist ever to come out of Alta. It has truly been an honor to teach, mentor and work with him."
White, who started his promising music career as a pianist, also has been named to the Utah All-State Jazz Band, is a two-time member of the Crescent Super Band, and has won outstanding soloist awards at the Peaks Jazz Festival and Utah State Jazz Festival.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 43
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Report: States manage public lands for... 23