OREM — A large fire displaced a family of eight Thursday morning.
Police said a family dog that was originally reported to have died in the fire, was actually still alive as of 10:30 a.m. and being treated at a vet clinic.
Four adults and four children, the youngest just 3 years old, were able to get out of the burning house, 973 S. 190 West, just after 6 a.m. One man suffered minor burns on his arm while trying to fight the fire in the room where it was believed to have started, said Orem Police Sgt. Craig Martinez.
Investigators believe an unattended candle started the blaze, he said.
Four agencies — including 20 firefighters — responded to the fire. Initially, crews were able to make an offensive attack inside the house. But the heat and flames quickly became too much.
"It was overwhelming. It got a little too dangerous," Martinez said.
Firefighters were forced to retreat and battle the fire in a defensive mode from the outside.
The home is considered a total loss. The Red Cross was helping the family find temporary shelter.
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty to...
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- Farmington woman tumbles 150 feet in hiking...
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder Boyd K....
- Elderly man hit, killed while changing tire
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 61
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 19
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13