Cedar police: Man with 'suicidal, homicidal intentions' arrested after chase
CEDAR CITY — A man who police say shot multiple rounds at another vehicle and had "suicidal and homicidal intentions" was arrested after trying to flee from officers Wednesday night.
Nicholas Scott Anthony, 20, was arrested for investigation of attempted murder, DUI, consumption of alcohol by a minor, possessing a firearm while intoxicated, firing a gun from a vehicle, reckless endangerment, fleeing and several other traffic offenses.
The wild incident began about 9:35 p.m. when Cedar City police officers in the area of Center Street and Main Street heard multiple gunshots. Investigators later determined the driver had fired several shots at another vehicle with several occupants. No one was injured. Detectives believe the victims were picked at random.
Officers responding to the shooting saw a vehicle leaving the area at a high rate of speed. Police tried to pull the driver over, but he kept going. The pursuit ended when Anthony crashed into a parked car.
"He is currently being treated at a local area hospital for minor injuries sustained during the crash. Police report that the suspect expressed suicidal thoughts," Cedar City police reported in a prepared statement.
Officers later noted that "evidence was recovered that supported those statements" of being suicidal and homicidal.
Anthony was later released from the hospital and booked into the Iron County Correctional Facility.
Initially, police thought a second man may have jumped out of the car and ran off. A Department of Public Safety helicopter was used to search and Cedar City police sent out tweets warning the public to stay away from the area, and for residents — including Southern Utah University students — to stay indoors. It was quickly determined, however, there was no second suspect.
Anthony has no prior criminal history in adult court, according to Utah state court records.
- Mentor to Brandon Mull, James Dashner chose...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- Deedee Corradini, Salt Lake's first and only...
- Utahns react to death of former Salt Lake...
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan
- House leaders counter Healthy Utah, question...
- Hearing begins to determine fate of teen...
- Salt Lake City named among top 10 downtown...
- Gov. Herbert increases pressure on... 55
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 40
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan 27
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 25
- House leaders counter Healthy Utah,... 22
- With Healthy Utah stalled, lives still... 20
- Some GOP House members disagree with... 18
- Hope in a crisis: School, community... 18