Utah Jazz: No Paul Millsap, no energy, no win against the Atlanta Hawks
Randy Foye and Hayward each added 11 points, but those four — Jefferson, Favors and the two guards — were the only Jazz players to hit double figures on a night the team only shot 44.6 percent.
"We got ourselves down and it's just too hard to fight our way back," Hayward said. "You can't dig yourself that big of a hole."
Or play lethargically, which was evident in the fact the Jazz only had seven fast-break points.
"Overall, we needed to get our energy up," Favors said.
Carroll echoed Favors, saying, "They played harder than us."
That's frustrating for the guy who prides himself in playing a frenetic style of "Junkyard Dog" basketball.
"Everybody got to look at each other in the mirror. It's a pride thing," Carroll said. "Every night we've got to come out and say we're going to play hard no matter what. I don't know if it was because of the loss to Boston or what. We can't dwell on losses. We've got 24 games left and we're in the playoffs. We're still in seventh place. We've just got to continue to keep winning."
Josh Smith also had a big night with 24 points, 14 rebounds and seven assists in leading the Hawks to their fourth consecutive win over Utah.
JAZZ NOTES: Foye hit two 3-pointers to catch up with ex-Jazz big man Mehmet Okur for the franchise's single-season record of 129 treys. Okur established that mark in 2006-07. Foye surpassed his personal season-best of 127, which he had last year with the Clippers. Three former Jazz players saw action for Atlanta — Devin Harris (12 points), Kyle Korver (four points) and DeShawn Stevenson (two points). The Jazz have used 10 different starting lineups. Wednesday's starters included Earl Watson for the second straight game along with Foye, Marvin Williams, Favors and Jefferson.
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 64
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 45
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34