Weber State takes 7-game win streak to Sacramento State
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — As the season dwindles down, Weber State greatly improved its chances to potentially host the Big Sky tournament.
The Wildcats (20-5, 14-2) jumped ahead of league-leading Montana in national RPI rankings after the Grizzlies fell to nonconference foe Davidson while WSU topped Oral Roberts last weekend. If Montana — which is suffering from injuries to two of its best players — should fall in one of the four remaining BSC games, one tiebreaker is power rankings.
However, none of that matters unless the ’Cats take care of business against Sacramento State (13-12, 7-9) Thursday at 8 p.m. at the Hornets Nest. WSU has won seven straight.
WSU maintains a 34-4 all-time edge against the Hornets, including a closer-than-expected 65-56 win in Ogden earlier this season. Sacramento State is led by four players averaging in double figures: John Dickson (13.2 ppg), Mikh McKinney (12.9 ppg), Dylan Garrity (11.7 ppg) and its 6-foot-8, 280-pound center, Konner Veteto (10.7 ppg).
In the first meeting, Weber limited Dickson to nine points but struggled to contain Garrity, who chipped in 20 points on 8-of-14 shooting.
Weber State continues to lead the nation in field goal percentage (51.4 percent) and now ranks No. 1 in 3-point percentage (42.8 percent). With the win over Oral Roberts, WSU reached 20 wins for the fifth time in seven seasons under Randy Rahe.
Wildcats on the Air
Weber State (20-5, 14-2) at Sacramento State (13-12, 7-9)
Thursday, 8 p.m.
Sacramento, Hornets Nest
Online video: bigskytv.org
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 96
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 54
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33