Weber State takes 7-game win streak to Sacramento State
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — As the season dwindles down, Weber State greatly improved its chances to potentially host the Big Sky tournament.
The Wildcats (20-5, 14-2) jumped ahead of league-leading Montana in national RPI rankings after the Grizzlies fell to nonconference foe Davidson while WSU topped Oral Roberts last weekend. If Montana — which is suffering from injuries to two of its best players — should fall in one of the four remaining BSC games, one tiebreaker is power rankings.
However, none of that matters unless the ’Cats take care of business against Sacramento State (13-12, 7-9) Thursday at 8 p.m. at the Hornets Nest. WSU has won seven straight.
WSU maintains a 34-4 all-time edge against the Hornets, including a closer-than-expected 65-56 win in Ogden earlier this season. Sacramento State is led by four players averaging in double figures: John Dickson (13.2 ppg), Mikh McKinney (12.9 ppg), Dylan Garrity (11.7 ppg) and its 6-foot-8, 280-pound center, Konner Veteto (10.7 ppg).
In the first meeting, Weber limited Dickson to nine points but struggled to contain Garrity, who chipped in 20 points on 8-of-14 shooting.
Weber State continues to lead the nation in field goal percentage (51.4 percent) and now ranks No. 1 in 3-point percentage (42.8 percent). With the win over Oral Roberts, WSU reached 20 wins for the fifth time in seven seasons under Randy Rahe.
Wildcats on the Air
Weber State (20-5, 14-2) at Sacramento State (13-12, 7-9)
Thursday, 8 p.m.
Sacramento, Hornets Nest
Online video: bigskytv.org
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor Harding...
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State all...
- Utah Utes football: Ranking the best players...
- One mistake turned Utah native and Yankees...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th in...
- Whittingham dishes on stadium expansion,...
- Doug Robinson: Former SLC engineer gets paid...
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 77
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 76
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 66
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 49
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 35
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33