SEATTLE — A 10-0 victory Wednesday over Seattle University extends BYU’s winning streak to three games and evens its record for the second time this season.
The Cougars (5-5) got six innings from starter Jeff Barker, who improved his record to 2-1 as nine BYU players collected 12 hits in the shutout. Leading those hitters were Jaycob Brugman, Brennon Anderson and Cody Shepherd.
Brugman belted a pair of doubles, including a two-run shot down the left-field line to start BYU on a 2-0 lead in the first inning. Anderson’s two-run homer, his second dinger of the season, lifted BYU to a 7-0 lead in the seventh inning. Shepherd, a reserve from Richland, Wash., hit a two-run double in the three-run ninth inning.
“Brennon had a huge hit, but it was more of a team effort,” BYU coach Mike Littlewood said. “It was nice to win a game by a large margin. It gave us a chance to relax just a tad; we haven’t had many of those type of games.”
Freshman center fielder Jacob Hannemann’s inning-ending diving catch in the sixth may have been the play of the game when BYU had a 2-0 lead.
“It was the first time we had him (Hannemann) playing center,” Littlewood said.
“They hit a line drive to left-center and he made a front-diving catch as he was running towards shortstop. It would have been an easy double and scored the runners on the corners.”
Seattle (1-8) used seven pitchers in an effort to stop BYU.
The Cougars’ winning streak includes a pair of victories over Seattle and an upset at No. 2 LSU, pitting them next against Creighton in the home-opening series, which has been moved from Provo to St. George.
A Friday doubleheader with Creighton begins at 11 a.m. and will be broadcast live locally over Radio 960 AM and on the internet through BYU Radio. A single game will be played on Saturday at 10:30 a.m. All the BYU-Creighton games will be played at Bruce Hurst Field on the Dixie State University campus.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at email@example.com.
- Ranking the best free-agent signings in Utah...
- There were some highlights in Utah Jazz's...
- Randy Hollis: Hayward's price tag too much...
- Can Devin Mahina help bring glory back to...
- Utah Jazz guard Dante Exum sings to himself...
- Utah Jazz 'ecstatic' for Charlotte-bound...
- Jazz match, Gordon Hayward to sign four-year,...
- BYU football players like the variety, travel...
- Is independence a viable option for... 138
- BYU football players like the variety,... 74
- Jazz match, Gordon Hayward to sign... 57
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match... 28
- Randy Hollis: Hayward's price tag too... 21
- Big turnout of fans buoys Jazz 18
- Utah Utes to face familiar faces in... 14
- Jimmer Fredette returns to Provo to... 14