WEST JORDAN — Investigators have determined a fire that heavily damaged a home Tuesday was an accident caused by "improperly discarded smoking materials."
The fire at 2818 W. Dimond Drive (7650 South) was reported about 12:50 p.m. Tuesday. Investigators said it began in the space between a shed and the back of an attached garage, where the homeowner goes to smoke cigarettes.
The homeowner initially tried to extinguish the spreading fire with some garden hoses but found they were frozen. He was treated for smoke inhalation.
Wind pushed the fire from the shed to the garage, which is attached to the home. The man's stepdaughter, stepson, two dogs and a cat all made it out of the house unharmed.
Damage to the home, some cars and a the shed was estimated at nearly $150,000.
Both the West Jordan Fire Department and Unified Fire Authority responded to the blaze.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 289
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 128
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 73
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35