Olynyk has been rattling off 20-point scoring games since December and currently ranks No. 2 in the NCAA in field goal accuracy at 66 percent. He is easily the most accurate shooter in the country above 6-foot-6. The closest 7-footer to Olynyk in accuracy is Cody Zeller of Indiana at 58.6 percent.
Could this be Olynyk’s final year with Gonzaga? Will he turn pro after the NCAA Tournament? Will the Cougars be done with him after just one year, since he redshirted last season?
Well, if somebody tells him he’s going in the top 10 or 12, I’d say he’ll go. But Pope wouldn’t guess.
“That is up to him. He’s fully capable of leaving after this year if he wants to. There’s no doubt about that. But other players like Tim Duncan have decided to play it out. I don’t know him so I don’t know what he’s thinking. If the question is could he go now, I would think the answer would have to be an overwhelming yes.”
Pope says if the Zag big man starts working out for NBA teams at pre-draft camps, they will extract out of him what he doesn’t really need to show in college.
“When he starts working out at camps, if everything I’ve heard is true and what I’ve seen is true, he will blow people’s minds. If we haven’t seen all his game, at those workouts, they will find your whole game. If what people say is true, there will be a lot of general managers (that) walk out of the gym shaking their heads.”
That, in a nutshell, is what awaits the Cougars tonight.
If BYU has any pride at all, they won’t let him go perfect on them again. And do so with only part of his game.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Former BYU Cougar and returned missionary...
- Steve Nash fans among Utah Jazz saddened by...
- Utah-USC: Battle of ranked teams at...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz wrap up preseason play at 5-3...
- Who's in? Breaking down the high school...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 113
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 61
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 52
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 33
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some... 26
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21