Olynyk has been rattling off 20-point scoring games since December and currently ranks No. 2 in the NCAA in field goal accuracy at 66 percent. He is easily the most accurate shooter in the country above 6-foot-6. The closest 7-footer to Olynyk in accuracy is Cody Zeller of Indiana at 58.6 percent.
Could this be Olynyk’s final year with Gonzaga? Will he turn pro after the NCAA Tournament? Will the Cougars be done with him after just one year, since he redshirted last season?
Well, if somebody tells him he’s going in the top 10 or 12, I’d say he’ll go. But Pope wouldn’t guess.
“That is up to him. He’s fully capable of leaving after this year if he wants to. There’s no doubt about that. But other players like Tim Duncan have decided to play it out. I don’t know him so I don’t know what he’s thinking. If the question is could he go now, I would think the answer would have to be an overwhelming yes.”
Pope says if the Zag big man starts working out for NBA teams at pre-draft camps, they will extract out of him what he doesn’t really need to show in college.
“When he starts working out at camps, if everything I’ve heard is true and what I’ve seen is true, he will blow people’s minds. If we haven’t seen all his game, at those workouts, they will find your whole game. If what people say is true, there will be a lot of general managers (that) walk out of the gym shaking their heads.”
That, in a nutshell, is what awaits the Cougars tonight.
If BYU has any pride at all, they won’t let him go perfect on them again. And do so with only part of his game.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18