SALT LAKE CITY — A bill that would create more extreme re-certification requirements for licensed massage therapists in Utah was sent to an interim committee for further study and discussion.
Lawmakers in the House Health and Human Services Committee said they were flooded with calls of concern regarding the proposed HB351, which would have mandated 24 hours of continuing education every two years for massage therapists to maintain licensure in the state.
Rep. Paul Ray, R-Clearfield, said he proposed the bill due to a request from the industry. However, many licensed massage therapists attended Wednesday's committee meeting, pleading for the bill not to pass. Ray said he's obliged to continue the discussion later in the year.
"For most people, it is just a part-time income," said Ron Findlay, a licensed massage therapist in northern Utah. He said the majority of therapists use basic modalities, not requiring specialized training or instruction after graduating from educational programs.
"We do offer liability insurance for massage therapists, and it is very inexpensive because we don't hurt people," Findlay said.
The more education a massage therapist receives, the more likely it is they are employing more extreme or more complicated modalities, he said, and in that case, they are covered by the appropriate continuing education requirements.
- Business community supports tax increases for...
- Young adults prefer to share chores and...
- After setting iPhone record, what does Apple...
- Balancing act: Organizations slowly move...
- 5 reasons your most talented employees will...
- Index indicates Utah economy thriving
- Dave Ramsey says: Make changes to save money
- Michelle Singletary: Making personal finance...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Utah has fourth largest gender wage... 12
- Business community supports tax... 12
- Greek radical left wins election,... 3
- Knocking doors: What to know before... 3
- US consumer confidence jumps to 7... 2
- After setting iPhone record, what does... 2
- Faith leaders: your secret weapon in... 2