Marcus Mathews may prove happier than anyone in the group regarding Anae’s return as offensive coordinator given his relatively slight frame for a tight end and natural receiving skills. He’s proven to be someone who can contribute heavily when split out in wide formation, but struggles in tight formations out of a three-point stance.
Bryan Sampson is home from his LDS mission and hopes to establish himself this spring and someone who can contribute to the position.
Other wide receiver options
While the two starting wide receivers appear to be set there remains a lot of intrigue on who will fill out the two-deep roster. Anae and new receivers coach Guy Holliday will have a lot of options to file through during spring and into the fall.
Most of the existing group includes players who have shone during certain practice sessions while others have produced during game-time situations. The group is led by senior Dallin Cutler (5-9, 185) who was set to contribute heavily last season before going down with injury. Skyler Ridley (6-0, 180) saw a lot of good production early last season and will again add his services to the receiving corps.
Two of the most intriguing options are Mitch Mathews (6-6, 200 So.) who lends a unique size and speed combination to the group and Terenn Houk (6-4, 213 So.) who has proven to be a quality possession-type receiver during most practice sessions. Other options include Kurt Henderson (6-1, 192 So.), Cody Raymond (5-9, 170 So.), Jordan Smith (6-4, 203 Jr.), and Brett Thompson (6-3, 220 So.)
Overall it's hard not to like the potential of this year's receiving corps. If Apo reaches his potential and a tight end steps up to provide good and consistent play, then this could prove to be one of the better receiving groups the program has every posed.
This is part three of a six-part series previewing the various positions of BYU's football team leading in to spring football. In this piece, Brandon Gurney takes a look at the BYU's receivers. In part two, Brandon reviewed the offensive line.
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas A&M jumps, BYU and Texas garner more...
- BYU, Utah fans react to Max Hall's arrest...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Nebraska transfer Harvey Jackson stepped up...
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 92
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 72
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 37
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 34
- Utah Utes take stock of the offense... 31
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28