Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
Provo, Utah — The BYU Cougars are set to open the confines of South Field on Saturday as it hosts the Utah State Aggies in the 2013 season home opener.
The match against the Aggies is a Utah Collegiate Rugby Conference slated tilt between the Cougars and their foe from Logan but will serve as the first chance for local BYU fans to see the new-look Cougars following their 2012 National Championship.
“We love playing on South Field,” BYU captain Ryan Roundy said. “And our fans are always the best. We’re excited to have them there and hopefully put on a good show.”
The Aggies come to Provo for the first time since 2009 when BYU’s first National Championship team led by All-American and former USA 7′s Eagle Steve St. Pierre beat USU by the score of 111-3.
So far on the 2013 season, the Cougars have posted a 5-1 record with the lone loss coming to Old Puget Sound Beach men’s club by the score of 34-30 with OPSB scoring in the last minute to complete their come-from-behind victory.
The Cougars match against another top men’s club, the Denver Barbarians, was scratched last weekend due to travel concerns for both teams in inclement weather.
At the midway point of the season, the Cougars now turn their attention the remainder of the 2013 schedule as BYU hosts five out of the next six matches in Provo highlighted with appearances by New York Athletic Club — 2012 Men’s Division Champions — in the 2013 Champions Challenge and the University of Utah in the 2013 Wasatch Cup.
“We’re at the half way point of this season,” BYU coach David Smyth said. “And we’ve seen some good things, but we’re far from a completed product. We’re looking forward to being back out on South Field and playing some good, entertaining rugby and getting ourselves ready for the postseason.”
BYU and Utah State will kick off at 1 p.m. MT with the South Field gates opening up one hour prior. Tickets can be bought at the gate for $8 for adults and $5 for students.
The game will be streamed live on BYURugby.com, as well as on Deseret News and KSL's websites. All media portals will have the game available immediately following the webcast for on-demand viewing.
BYU rugby opens home schedule against USU
Defending National Champions BYU Rugby hosts USU on South Field on Saturday at 1pm.
The BYU Rugby program is one of the school's most winning sports teams with just 19 losses in over 20 years. BYU Rugby won the 2009 Collegiate National Championship and has promoted 28 players to All-American status. For more go to byurugby.com
- MLS Cup live blog: Sporting KC wins 7-6 in...
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog: Minutemen's...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom Hill,...
- Utah State football: Immovable Aggies face...
- BYU basketball: Hot-shooting UMass fires its...
- Utah Jazz: Rip City, all right...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws'...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 101
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 59
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 49
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie... 27
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 26
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 24