Brigham City police apprehend suspected bank robber after brief pursuit
BRIGHAM CITY — An Ogden man was arrested Tuesday after police say he robbed a Main Street bank, stole a getaway vehicle at gunpoint and crashed as he attempted to escape.
The 29-year-old man was arrested after a brief pursuit and scuffle with police. The man, whose name was not released Tuesday, will be investigated for aggravated bank robbery, aggravated carjacking, evading police, resisting arrest and attempting to disarm a police officer, according to Brigham City police.
Police say the man entered Chase Bank, 101 S. Main, about 6 p.m. wearing a mask and gloves. After ordering two female tellers to put cash into a bag for him, the man fled the building.
Witnesses told police the man headed east on 100 South and then south on 100 East. After stashing the gloves, mask and bag of cash, he demanded that a man pulling into a residence near 200 South and 100 East give him his green Dodge pickup.
A small child was in the truck when the man approached, and as the man moved toward the child, the mother attempted to remove the child from the truck. The alleged bank robber accidentally dropped his weapon, and the woman managed to remove her child from the vehicle, police said.
Officers spotted the pickup rounding a corner at high speeds near 200 South and 200 East and began a short pursuit, until the driver crashed into a cement barricade near an apartment complex at 500 South and 400 East.
The suspect fought with police as they attempted to take him into custody, spitting on and biting them. Once the man was handcuffed, police located a loaded 9 mm pistol that had fallen in the snow.
Two officers who received minor injuries while taking the man into custody were treated at a Brigham City hospital and released, police said.
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 37
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Cheerleaders for Medicaid expansion ask... 9