Brigham City police apprehend suspected bank robber after brief pursuit
BRIGHAM CITY — An Ogden man was arrested Tuesday after police say he robbed a Main Street bank, stole a getaway vehicle at gunpoint and crashed as he attempted to escape.
The 29-year-old man was arrested after a brief pursuit and scuffle with police. The man, whose name was not released Tuesday, will be investigated for aggravated bank robbery, aggravated carjacking, evading police, resisting arrest and attempting to disarm a police officer, according to Brigham City police.
Police say the man entered Chase Bank, 101 S. Main, about 6 p.m. wearing a mask and gloves. After ordering two female tellers to put cash into a bag for him, the man fled the building.
Witnesses told police the man headed east on 100 South and then south on 100 East. After stashing the gloves, mask and bag of cash, he demanded that a man pulling into a residence near 200 South and 100 East give him his green Dodge pickup.
A small child was in the truck when the man approached, and as the man moved toward the child, the mother attempted to remove the child from the truck. The alleged bank robber accidentally dropped his weapon, and the woman managed to remove her child from the vehicle, police said.
Officers spotted the pickup rounding a corner at high speeds near 200 South and 200 East and began a short pursuit, until the driver crashed into a cement barricade near an apartment complex at 500 South and 400 East.
The suspect fought with police as they attempted to take him into custody, spitting on and biting them. Once the man was handcuffed, police located a loaded 9 mm pistol that had fallen in the snow.
Two officers who received minor injuries while taking the man into custody were treated at a Brigham City hospital and released, police said.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Judge sets November hearing for ex-A.G.s Mark...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 29
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12