Police say man used military leave in Utah to have unlawful sexual conduct with underage girls
ROY — Police have arrested a man they say has been using his military leave to prey on underage girls in Utah.
Luis Salguero, 27, was booked into the Weber County Jail for investigation of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, a third-degree felony, and enticing a minor, a Class A misdemeanor. Salguero is currently enlisted in the U.S. Air Force and stationed in Hawaii, but has been visiting family in Magna since Feb. 12, police said.
Salguero had been posing as a 15 or 17 year old on an online dating site, and contacting girls using the name "Jon Anders." The photos on the profile are his own, police said.
Roy Police Chief Greg Winham said Salguero's targets were all young females, and police are investigating other possible victims in Roy, Riverdale and Salt Lake City. The investigation began with a "suspicious person" call to Riverdale police.
Salguero met a 15-year-old Roy girl for sex over the weekend, Winham said. He warned that children and teenagers may not be aware they are being targeted.
"What we find as we look at the Internet and social media as a way to meet people is predators come in all ages," Winham said. "Our advice is parents need to know the sites that their children and the friends of their children are involved with, and the content of their discussions."
Air Force representatives are also looking into the situation and are working to determine whether crimes have occurred in other areas, Winham said.
Contributing: Dave Cawley
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Millions being spent gambling at 2 bingo...
- Tooele praised for 'incredible' support in...
- 2 charged in attack on gay men; prosecutor...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 27
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 13
- Giant algal bloom likely to fuel Utah... 10