Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
BRIGHAM CITY — A construction worker was killed Tuesday afternoon after a roof collapsed during demolition work on a former Kmart at 989 S. Main.
The southern half of the building's roof collapsed around 3 p.m. while workers were preparing for the demolition. A small corner of the northern half of the building also collapsed. Three other construction workers were on the roof at the time but were not hurt.
About 20 rescue workers and a K-9 unit searched the collapsed structure and eventually found the man. He died in the collapse. His name was not immediately released Tuesday night.
Brigham City Fire Capt. Michael Young said it's unknown why the man went inside the building. Although the collapse occurred earlier than expected, the inside of the building was considered unsafe.
"(He) should not have been on the inside," Young said.
For now, the demolition work has been halted.
"Work will not continue until a full investigation has been conducted and finalized," said Jory Argyle, a spokesman for Reynolds Excavation, Demolition & Utilities, the main contractor for the demolition.
Argyle confirmed the victim was a worker on the project but said he was not a Reynolds employee. He declined to confirm the name of the man's employer.
Police are still investigating whether the collapse was caused by the crew's preparation to demolish the building or the heavy layer of snow on the roof.
Contributing: Peter Samore
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- One-third of Utah kids risk becoming...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 85
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 33
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 21
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 12
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 11