Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
BRIGHAM CITY — A construction worker was killed Tuesday afternoon after a roof collapsed during demolition work on a former Kmart at 989 S. Main.
The southern half of the building's roof collapsed around 3 p.m. while workers were preparing for the demolition. A small corner of the northern half of the building also collapsed. Three other construction workers were on the roof at the time but were not hurt.
About 20 rescue workers and a K-9 unit searched the collapsed structure and eventually found the man. He died in the collapse. His name was not immediately released Tuesday night.
Brigham City Fire Capt. Michael Young said it's unknown why the man went inside the building. Although the collapse occurred earlier than expected, the inside of the building was considered unsafe.
"(He) should not have been on the inside," Young said.
For now, the demolition work has been halted.
"Work will not continue until a full investigation has been conducted and finalized," said Jory Argyle, a spokesman for Reynolds Excavation, Demolition & Utilities, the main contractor for the demolition.
Argyle confirmed the victim was a worker on the project but said he was not a Reynolds employee. He declined to confirm the name of the man's employer.
Police are still investigating whether the collapse was caused by the crew's preparation to demolish the building or the heavy layer of snow on the roof.
Contributing: Peter Samore
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- A photographic look at how Days of '47 floats...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 73
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- $1.8B project to take Salt Lake City... 17
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14