UVU basketball: Sammie Jensen named Great West POW for eighth time
Linsey Craig, UVU Athletics
NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley University's Sammie Jensen has been named Great West Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week after leading the Wolverines to a conference win over Chicago State last week. The award was announced Tuesday by the league office.
Jensen, a senior from Stansbury, Utah, helped UVU clinch at least a share of the conference title on Saturday as she led the Wolverines to a 63-55 road win over Chicago State. Jensen led the way in the contest with 18 points and 21 rebounds for her 18th double-double of the season. The senior forward was red-hot in the game as she went 7-for-11 from the field and 4-of-6 from the charity stripe. Her 21 rebounds were also just one shy of the single-game school record that she set earlier this year.
Jensen currently leads the Great West in rebounding (13.9 rpg) and is second in the nation in that same category. She is also second in the GWC in scoring with an average of 17.4 points per game.
The conference honor is Jensen's eighth of the season and 13th of her career.
Also nominated were Chicago State's Tierra Williams, Houston Baptist's Shanice Steenholdt and Texas-Pan American's Johnondra Patterson.
Jensen and the Wolverines will close out their regular season this week by hosting CSU Bakersfield on Wednesday at 7 p.m. and Houston Baptist on Saturday at 3 p.m.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33