UVU basketball: Sammie Jensen named Great West POW for eighth time
Linsey Craig, UVU Athletics
NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley University's Sammie Jensen has been named Great West Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week after leading the Wolverines to a conference win over Chicago State last week. The award was announced Tuesday by the league office.
Jensen, a senior from Stansbury, Utah, helped UVU clinch at least a share of the conference title on Saturday as she led the Wolverines to a 63-55 road win over Chicago State. Jensen led the way in the contest with 18 points and 21 rebounds for her 18th double-double of the season. The senior forward was red-hot in the game as she went 7-for-11 from the field and 4-of-6 from the charity stripe. Her 21 rebounds were also just one shy of the single-game school record that she set earlier this year.
Jensen currently leads the Great West in rebounding (13.9 rpg) and is second in the nation in that same category. She is also second in the GWC in scoring with an average of 17.4 points per game.
The conference honor is Jensen's eighth of the season and 13th of her career.
Also nominated were Chicago State's Tierra Williams, Houston Baptist's Shanice Steenholdt and Texas-Pan American's Johnondra Patterson.
Jensen and the Wolverines will close out their regular season this week by hosting CSU Bakersfield on Wednesday at 7 p.m. and Houston Baptist on Saturday at 3 p.m.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- Rock On: Bronco misses the mark, Utes given...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School District...
- High school boys basketball: Only 2 defending...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 92
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 56
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 41
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 41
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 41
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32