WEST JORDAN — One person suffered smoke inhalation and a home suffered extensive damage in a fire here Tuesday.
A UPS driver first noticed smoke coming from the back of a house where he had just made a delivery, at 2818 Dimond Drive (7650 South), just before 1 p.m., said West Jordan Fire Battalion Chief Reed Scharman. After alerting the occupants inside, one of the homeowners discovered his backyard shed was on fire.
The shed had several flammable materials in it, including a propane tank, Scharman said. The homeowner attempted to fight the fire with a garden hose.
"The first garden hose was frozen, the second didn't do much better," he said.
The man, his stepdaughter, stepson, two dogs and a cat were all able to get out of the house. A breeze from the north pushed the fire from the shed to the attached garage of the one-story, rambler-style house, Scharman said. Eventually the garage became fully involved and smoke poured out of both ends of the attic.
Damage was estimated at $150,000. The homeowner initially refused medical attention but later agreed to be transported to a local hospital as a precaution.
Whether the fire started in the shed or in other items stored near the shed was still under investigation Tuesday.
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Trial ordered for Cameo Crispi, accused of...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 37
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 26
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 21