Basically, Dougall's analysis doesn't square with the analysis done by the retirement system's actuaries and accountants.
"It's hard for us to second-guess the actuaries, but it appears that we are still probably in the realm of reason at 7.5 percent," Valentine said.
House Speaker Becky Lockhart, R-Provo, said she doesn’t expect action to be taken on the audit this session.
"I'm not sure we need to make adjustments this session," Lockhart said. "But it's great information to have moving forward."
House Majority Assistant Whip Don Ipson, R-St. George, said at some point, more funding may be needed "to keep that viable. It doesn't mean the end is less secure. It just means … that the less we earn on it, the more of our own money we'll have to put in to keep those promises."
Senate leaders feel strongly about subjecting URS to GRAMA and the open meetings law.
On that issue, Andersen said URS plans to work with Bramble over the next year to define how the system could be more open.
Dougall, who as a lawmaker ran a controversial bill that would have gutted GRAMA, said it's important for public employees to have access to their retirement system.
"If I were a state employee, I'd want to make sure there's more transparency to the information that goes into the assumptions of rates of return, so they understand whether there's solvency concerns to the pension or not," Dougall said.
Contributing: Lisa Riley Roche
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- Father vows to keep looking for Susan Cox Powell
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 42
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 30
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 19
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 19
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 14