Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah may soon impose tougher restrictions on tattoos and piercings for minors.
On Tuesday, the House passed HB117, which requires that minors provide written and signed permission from a parent or legal guardian to get a tattoo or piercing, in addition to having a parent or guardian present for the procedure.
Rep. Jon Stanard, R-St. George, sponsored the bill after a minor in his district came home with a tattoo without parental permission. When the minor told the tattoo artist he could not provide identification proving he was 18, Stanard said the tattoo artist gave him the tattoo anyway, saying he would claim he saw the minor’s ID.
The bill also provides that tattoo or piercing artists cannot be found guilty of illegally tattooing or piercing a minor if they can produce a photocopy of the minor’s government issued ID that shows the minor was purportedly 18 or older at the time it was performed.
If a youth comes in with a fake ID, it is not the business' fault, Stanard said.
Stanard said he sponsored the bill to close this loophole and to protect businesses as much as to protect minors.
Rep. Derek Brown, R-Cottonwood Heights, said those legitimately involved in the industry already follow this practice, according to a family member who is tattoo artist.
The bill passed 68-1 and now goes to the Senate.
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Mark Zuckerberg is taking two months...
- In time for the holidays, S.L. Comic Con...
- 5 Utah E. coli cases linked to Costco chicken...
- Salt Lake chef wins round in 'Holiday Baking...
- Man killed in Salt Lake industrial accident
- Final beam in place at U. health center in...
- Dog blood bank in desperate need of 'canine...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 18
- 5 ways you drive away millennial employees 14
- Pfizer, Allergan $160B deal forms... 6
- Utah liquor commission going slow on... 4
- 5 Utah E. coli cases linked to Costco... 2
- In time for the holidays, S.L. Comic... 2
- Utah jobless rate holds steady at 3.6... 1
- U.S. is the richest country, but... 1