South Jordan woman admits stealing more than $400K from employer
SALT LAKE CITY — A South Jordan woman admitted Monday that she embezzled more than $400,000 from her employer over two years.
Monica Paris, 30, pleaded guilty to money laundering in U.S. District Court, admitting that she stole $462,455 between August 2010 and February 2012 from Ultradent Products, Inc. The woman apparently started working for the dental product production and distribution company in 1997, according to court documents.
As the assistant to the director of major accounts, she was responsible for purchasing promotional materials including gift items for customers, vendors and other individuals and entities. Starting in 2010, Paris began filling out fraudulent expense reports for which she was paid and purchasing personal items that she sought and obtained reimbursement payments for from the company, court documents state.
She apparently approved the payment of the expense reports and directed the funds be paid directly into her personal bank account instead of first going through a company account. Paris used the money to make car payments, and pay for air travel, vacations, food, entertainment and personal luxury items, according to court documents.
Sentencing has been set in the case for June 27, at which time Paris could face up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks judge not...
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- Teen injured in Memorial Day crash dies
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- Tino, the king of Hogle Zoo's jungle, is...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 42
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 40
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 24
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 15