South Jordan woman admits stealing more than $400K from employer
SALT LAKE CITY — A South Jordan woman admitted Monday that she embezzled more than $400,000 from her employer over two years.
Monica Paris, 30, pleaded guilty to money laundering in U.S. District Court, admitting that she stole $462,455 between August 2010 and February 2012 from Ultradent Products, Inc. The woman apparently started working for the dental product production and distribution company in 1997, according to court documents.
As the assistant to the director of major accounts, she was responsible for purchasing promotional materials including gift items for customers, vendors and other individuals and entities. Starting in 2010, Paris began filling out fraudulent expense reports for which she was paid and purchasing personal items that she sought and obtained reimbursement payments for from the company, court documents state.
She apparently approved the payment of the expense reports and directed the funds be paid directly into her personal bank account instead of first going through a company account. Paris used the money to make car payments, and pay for air travel, vacations, food, entertainment and personal luxury items, according to court documents.
Sentencing has been set in the case for June 27, at which time Paris could face up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 67
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15