OREM — Utah Valley University will host a conference that aims to motivate girls to pursue degrees and careers in science, technology, engineering and math.
Girls in grades six through 12, their parents and educators are invited to UVU March 2 for the 27th annual Expanding Your Horizons conference at the Sorensen Student Center. The event is expected to attract up to 900 participants and is designed to inspire girls to earn a college degree in the STEM fields and to pursue high-paying, nontraditional careers.
More than 45 hands-on workshops will be offered, including: biology, computer science, environmental science, genetics and molecular biology, media engineering and production, physical therapy and sports medicine, paleontology, statistics, and zoology. New to the lineup this year are workshops introducing participants to the careers of certified nurse midwife, engineer and theater technology.
The conference will be held from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. In addition to the workshops, there will also be a career fair with interactive booths that include a flight simulator, a SimMan (human patient simulator), robots, educational Wii games, physics experiments and martial arts demonstrations.
Pre-conference registration is $25, and on-site registration is $35. The UVU Equity Center has partnered with Salt Lake Community College to provide online registration at spedregistration.com. Forms and workshop descriptions can also be downloaded at uvu.edu/equitycenter/horizons. For specific questions, contact the UVU Equity Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-863-8498.
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- Father vows to keep looking for Susan Cox Powell
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 30
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 20
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 19
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 18
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 15