OGDEN — Lone Peak basketball coach Quincy Lewis was named the Naismith Boys High School Coach of the Year Monday, just hours before leading his team to a 90-53 victory over West Jordan in the opening round of the 5A state tournament.
“I was really surprised, to be honest with you,” Lewis said of receiving the honor. “I got a call this morning and jeez, I don’t know. It’s a reflection of having good players, and I’ve got a great staff. That’s really what it’s about.”
Lewis has led his team to a 23-1 record on the season, a No. 1 ranking in the state and in the nation, and is vying for his third consecutive state championship — which could result in the MaxPreps national title.
The award is in its sixth year of existence, and Lewis is the first Utah coach to be recognized.
Forward Andrew Wiggins of Huntington Prep in Huntington, Va., was simultaneously named the Naismith Boys High School Player of the Year. Both will be honored at the Atlanta Tipoff Club's Naismith Awards Banquet on March 19, 2013, in Atlanta.
UHSAA Executive Director Rob Cuff said Lewis and his team deserve such a prestigious honor.
“It’s a perfect storm, as far as the team goes. Coming together, playing together for so many years, and being able to have the chemistry together to keep that going,” he said. “Quincy Lewis has his team ready every single game, they’re always prepared.”
Lone Peak center Eric Mika, who had 19 points, 16 rebounds and four blocks in the Knights’ victory, was also thrilled for his coach.
“I think that’s pretty awesome,” he said. “He talked to us about it, said he felt really honored. We definitely think he deserves it.”
Added Lewis, “I’m definitely fortunate, no question.”
Sarah Thomas is a graduate of the University of Utah and has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008.
- Morning links: Taysom Hill profiled by ESPN;...
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has...
- Flaming spears, furry mascots and drum lines:...
- Which returned missionaries will make the...
- Cougars respect Nebraska, but say they...
- Dick Harmon: College predictions: Utes to...
- Live blog: Utah opens year with victory over...
- Utah football: Utes outlast Michigan to win...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 77
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 69
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has... 40
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 37
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 30
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 29
- Morning links: Will Michigan beat Utah?... 26