OGDEN — Lone Peak basketball coach Quincy Lewis was named the Naismith Boys High School Coach of the Year Monday, just hours before leading his team to a 90-53 victory over West Jordan in the opening round of the 5A state tournament.
“I was really surprised, to be honest with you,” Lewis said of receiving the honor. “I got a call this morning and jeez, I don’t know. It’s a reflection of having good players, and I’ve got a great staff. That’s really what it’s about.”
Lewis has led his team to a 23-1 record on the season, a No. 1 ranking in the state and in the nation, and is vying for his third consecutive state championship — which could result in the MaxPreps national title.
The award is in its sixth year of existence, and Lewis is the first Utah coach to be recognized.
Forward Andrew Wiggins of Huntington Prep in Huntington, Va., was simultaneously named the Naismith Boys High School Player of the Year. Both will be honored at the Atlanta Tipoff Club's Naismith Awards Banquet on March 19, 2013, in Atlanta.
UHSAA Executive Director Rob Cuff said Lewis and his team deserve such a prestigious honor.
“It’s a perfect storm, as far as the team goes. Coming together, playing together for so many years, and being able to have the chemistry together to keep that going,” he said. “Quincy Lewis has his team ready every single game, they’re always prepared.”
Lone Peak center Eric Mika, who had 19 points, 16 rebounds and four blocks in the Knights’ victory, was also thrilled for his coach.
“I think that’s pretty awesome,” he said. “He talked to us about it, said he felt really honored. We definitely think he deserves it.”
Added Lewis, “I’m definitely fortunate, no question.”
Sarah Thomas is a graduate of the University of Utah and has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 95
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 77
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 53
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 43
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 28
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26