OGDEN — Lone Peak basketball coach Quincy Lewis was named the Naismith Boys High School Coach of the Year Monday, just hours before leading his team to a 90-53 victory over West Jordan in the opening round of the 5A state tournament.
“I was really surprised, to be honest with you,” Lewis said of receiving the honor. “I got a call this morning and jeez, I don’t know. It’s a reflection of having good players, and I’ve got a great staff. That’s really what it’s about.”
Lewis has led his team to a 23-1 record on the season, a No. 1 ranking in the state and in the nation, and is vying for his third consecutive state championship — which could result in the MaxPreps national title.
The award is in its sixth year of existence, and Lewis is the first Utah coach to be recognized.
Forward Andrew Wiggins of Huntington Prep in Huntington, Va., was simultaneously named the Naismith Boys High School Player of the Year. Both will be honored at the Atlanta Tipoff Club's Naismith Awards Banquet on March 19, 2013, in Atlanta.
UHSAA Executive Director Rob Cuff said Lewis and his team deserve such a prestigious honor.
“It’s a perfect storm, as far as the team goes. Coming together, playing together for so many years, and being able to have the chemistry together to keep that going,” he said. “Quincy Lewis has his team ready every single game, they’re always prepared.”
Lone Peak center Eric Mika, who had 19 points, 16 rebounds and four blocks in the Knights’ victory, was also thrilled for his coach.
“I think that’s pretty awesome,” he said. “He talked to us about it, said he felt really honored. We definitely think he deserves it.”
Added Lewis, “I’m definitely fortunate, no question.”
Sarah Thomas is a graduate of the University of Utah and has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008.
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler Haws'...
- Results from Tuesday's high school softball,...
- 4 reasons why you need to paraglide at Point...
- High school boys soccer: Lehi edges...
- Utah high school updated tournament pairings...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler... 20
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 19
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 15
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8