Utah Jazz suffer home heartbreaker, fall to Boston Celtics in OT
Though the Celtics were the team that's been on the go — "Five games, seven nights, five different cities and three different time zones," Rivers reminded reporters — it was the Jazz who appeared fatigued down the stretch.
"I don't think that was a factor," said Hayward, who played 36 minutes, including the final 24 minutes. "They made shots and plays at the end of the game and we didn't."
Along with Pierce's big night — which also included eight assists and seven rebounds — the Celtics had a total of six players in double figures. Garnett was his usual grumpy kind of good with 13 points, 10 rebounds and physical defense.
But the Jazz were killed by Celtics point guard Avery Bradley — filling in for injured Rajon Rondo — and his 18 points. Courtney Lee contributed 14, including two free throws with 1.2 seconds to go in overtime.
Utah had a chance to force a second OT, but Randy Foye heaved up an errant 3-pointer from an awkward angle at the buzzer.
"You want to win the ballgame and they're a little disappointed they didn't finish it off," Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said. "But I’m proud of the way they played and the fact we hung in there."
NOTES: Earl Watson replaced Jamaal Tinsley in the starting lineup at point guard. Watson had two points and two assists, while Tinsley didn't play. Foye went 2 for 6 from 3-point range, moving him to within two treys of the Jazz team record 129 that Mehmet Okur drilled in 2005-06. Hayward, who wears a compression shirt to help his healing right shoulder, has averaged 22.0 points since returning from his 10-game injury absence. Millsap hit his first six shots and finished with 16 points. The Jazz are 2-1 in overtime games this season, having previously beaten Indiana and Toronto (3OT).
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 45