Utah Jazz suffer home heartbreaker, fall to Boston Celtics in OT
Though the Celtics were the team that's been on the go — "Five games, seven nights, five different cities and three different time zones," Rivers reminded reporters — it was the Jazz who appeared fatigued down the stretch.
"I don't think that was a factor," said Hayward, who played 36 minutes, including the final 24 minutes. "They made shots and plays at the end of the game and we didn't."
Along with Pierce's big night — which also included eight assists and seven rebounds — the Celtics had a total of six players in double figures. Garnett was his usual grumpy kind of good with 13 points, 10 rebounds and physical defense.
But the Jazz were killed by Celtics point guard Avery Bradley — filling in for injured Rajon Rondo — and his 18 points. Courtney Lee contributed 14, including two free throws with 1.2 seconds to go in overtime.
Utah had a chance to force a second OT, but Randy Foye heaved up an errant 3-pointer from an awkward angle at the buzzer.
"You want to win the ballgame and they're a little disappointed they didn't finish it off," Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said. "But I’m proud of the way they played and the fact we hung in there."
NOTES: Earl Watson replaced Jamaal Tinsley in the starting lineup at point guard. Watson had two points and two assists, while Tinsley didn't play. Foye went 2 for 6 from 3-point range, moving him to within two treys of the Jazz team record 129 that Mehmet Okur drilled in 2005-06. Hayward, who wears a compression shirt to help his healing right shoulder, has averaged 22.0 points since returning from his 10-game injury absence. Millsap hit his first six shots and finished with 16 points. The Jazz are 2-1 in overtime games this season, having previously beaten Indiana and Toronto (3OT).
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37