BYU golf: Keith leads Cougars to eighth place standing on day one
SANTA ANA, Calif. — Senior Amanda Keith shot a second round one-over-par 73 to lead the BYU women's golf team to an eighth place standing at the UC Irvine Invitational on Monday.
The Cougars shot a first round 320 (+32), followed by a second round 312 (+24) to finish day one at 56-over-par, 10 strokes behind seventh place UC Riverside (+46).
“We had a good round by Lauren and Amanda,” BYU head coach Carrie Roberts said. “They played great. Lea had it going as well, just finished poorly. If we could just start and end a little bit better we’d be pretty good. Our middle seems to be really good. We’re there, we just need to put it together.”
Despite struggling in the opening round shooting a nine-over-par 81, Keith bounced back in the second round, shooting a one-over-par 73. Keith finished the second round with three birdies and currently sits in 16th place at 10-over-par heading into round three.
Freshman Lea Garner played two consistent rounds at Santa Ana Country Club, shooting a first round 80 (+8) and second round 78 (+6). Garner shot two birdies during the second round and currently stands tied for 28th at 14-over-par heading into Tuesday's final round.
Competing as an individual, sophomore Lauren Atkinson had a solid opening round. Atkinson converted four birdies in the first round to shoot a one-over-par 73. She currently stands tied for 34th at 15-over-par.
Junior Selu Fotu shot a first round 79 (+7), followed by a second round 81 (+9) to finish day one tied for 38th.
West Coast Conference foe Gonzaga stands in first place at 17-over-par heading into Tuesday's final round, 16 strokes ahead of second place UC Irvine. Santa Clara is currently tied for fifth at 45-over-par.
Follow Tuesday's final round live at golfstat.com with tee times starting at 7:45 a.m. PST.
16 Amanda Keith 81, 73, +10
T28 Lea Garner 80, 78, +14
T34 *Lauren Atkinson 73, 86, +15
T38 Selu Fotu 79, 81, +16
T40 Maria Yacaman 81, 80, +17
T56 Annika Kahaiali'i 80, 87, +23
1 Gonzaga +17
2 UC Irvine +33
T3 Long Beach State +42
T3 Portland State +42
T5 Sacramento State +45
T5 Santa Clara +45
7 UC Riverside +46
8 BYU +56
9 Idaho +61
10 North Dakota State +66
11 Montana +73
12 Northern Colorado +83
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a mythical...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- High school track: Ogden's Sarah Feeny breaks...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- High school track: Park City's Ben Saarel...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- Orem football player remains in...
- Considerable work, planning has gone... 71
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 65
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 65
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 61
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 60
- Utes football: No changes imminent for... 56
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A, 3A state... 49
- BYU football to receive 6-figure payout... 41