Bill requiring parent notification of suicide threats, bullying passes in committee
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A bill requiring schools to notify parents if their child threatens to commit suicide or is participant in incidents of bullying, cyber-bullying, harassment, hazing or retaliation, received a favorable recommendation Monday from the House Education Committee.
HB134, sponsored by Rep. Gage Froerer, R-Huntsville, would require schools to have parents sign a statement acknowledging notification of the bullying or suicidal threat.
“This serves a critical need in our state today and across the country,” Froerer said. “If this legislation will result in fewer teen suicides, we've done our job today as state legislators.”
The bill would allow school boards to adopt their own policy regarding the process for notifying the parent.
Froerer said the notification form — written, email or phone — would be up to school districts to decide.
“As long as they have a record of having informed the parents, it's up to the school districts as to how they will create the policy they determine is best,” he said.
Froerer said playground supervision, too, must be increased to help get at the root of the problem.
“It’s one step, and it’s a critical step,” Rep. Patrice Arent, D-Salt Lake City, said.
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Missouri hiker found dead in hot Wayne County...
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop officers...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11