Bill requiring parent notification of suicide threats, bullying passes in committee
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A bill requiring schools to notify parents if their child threatens to commit suicide or is participant in incidents of bullying, cyber-bullying, harassment, hazing or retaliation, received a favorable recommendation Monday from the House Education Committee.
HB134, sponsored by Rep. Gage Froerer, R-Huntsville, would require schools to have parents sign a statement acknowledging notification of the bullying or suicidal threat.
“This serves a critical need in our state today and across the country,” Froerer said. “If this legislation will result in fewer teen suicides, we've done our job today as state legislators.”
The bill would allow school boards to adopt their own policy regarding the process for notifying the parent.
Froerer said the notification form — written, email or phone — would be up to school districts to decide.
“As long as they have a record of having informed the parents, it's up to the school districts as to how they will create the policy they determine is best,” he said.
Froerer said playground supervision, too, must be increased to help get at the root of the problem.
“It’s one step, and it’s a critical step,” Rep. Patrice Arent, D-Salt Lake City, said.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop criminal...
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the middle...
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Fire destroys Taylorsville home, damages another
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the... 64
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 29
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16