Bill requiring parent notification of suicide threats, bullying passes in committee
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A bill requiring schools to notify parents if their child threatens to commit suicide or is participant in incidents of bullying, cyber-bullying, harassment, hazing or retaliation, received a favorable recommendation Monday from the House Education Committee.
HB134, sponsored by Rep. Gage Froerer, R-Huntsville, would require schools to have parents sign a statement acknowledging notification of the bullying or suicidal threat.
“This serves a critical need in our state today and across the country,” Froerer said. “If this legislation will result in fewer teen suicides, we've done our job today as state legislators.”
The bill would allow school boards to adopt their own policy regarding the process for notifying the parent.
Froerer said the notification form — written, email or phone — would be up to school districts to decide.
“As long as they have a record of having informed the parents, it's up to the school districts as to how they will create the policy they determine is best,” he said.
Froerer said playground supervision, too, must be increased to help get at the root of the problem.
“It’s one step, and it’s a critical step,” Rep. Patrice Arent, D-Salt Lake City, said.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Six arrested in wild Utah County kidnapping;...
- Friends, family, strangers gather at vigil...
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Ogden couple killed in murder-suicide identified
- 'They killed my son because he's... 78
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 65
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 51
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 39
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11