Bill requiring parent notification of suicide threats, bullying passes in committee
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A bill requiring schools to notify parents if their child threatens to commit suicide or is participant in incidents of bullying, cyber-bullying, harassment, hazing or retaliation, received a favorable recommendation Monday from the House Education Committee.
HB134, sponsored by Rep. Gage Froerer, R-Huntsville, would require schools to have parents sign a statement acknowledging notification of the bullying or suicidal threat.
“This serves a critical need in our state today and across the country,” Froerer said. “If this legislation will result in fewer teen suicides, we've done our job today as state legislators.”
The bill would allow school boards to adopt their own policy regarding the process for notifying the parent.
Froerer said the notification form — written, email or phone — would be up to school districts to decide.
“As long as they have a record of having informed the parents, it's up to the school districts as to how they will create the policy they determine is best,” he said.
Froerer said playground supervision, too, must be increased to help get at the root of the problem.
“It’s one step, and it’s a critical step,” Rep. Patrice Arent, D-Salt Lake City, said.
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Utah State runner Brittany Fisher gaining...
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Former Jazzman Thurl Bailey named ambassador...
- Two more guns seized at Salt Lake City...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 41
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 21
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 11
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water... 10
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah... 9
- 1,200 gather in Salt Lake, take part in... 8