BYU junior center Jennifer Hamson is the West Coast Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week. She averaged 21.5 points and eight rebounds per game last week for the Cougars.
Hamson a 6-foot-7 junior center from Lindon, Utah, and Pleasant Grove High School, started the week off with a career-high 23 points and a game-high eight rebounds in a 79-64 win over Portland. She also added two blocks, two steals and one assist.
She followed that up with 20 points and eight more rebounds against first-place Gonzaga while shooting a career-high 80 percent from the field. Hamson also had a game-best four blocks.
For the week, Hamson shot 72 percent from the field and 78 percent from the charity stripe. In the two games she totaled 43 points, 16 rebounds, six blocks and three steals.
The award is the first for Hamson in her basketball career.
Norma Collett is the athletic communications director for the BYU women's basketball team. She can be reached at 801-422-4908 or at email@example.com
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24