BYU junior center Jennifer Hamson is the West Coast Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week. She averaged 21.5 points and eight rebounds per game last week for the Cougars.
Hamson a 6-foot-7 junior center from Lindon, Utah, and Pleasant Grove High School, started the week off with a career-high 23 points and a game-high eight rebounds in a 79-64 win over Portland. She also added two blocks, two steals and one assist.
She followed that up with 20 points and eight more rebounds against first-place Gonzaga while shooting a career-high 80 percent from the field. Hamson also had a game-best four blocks.
For the week, Hamson shot 72 percent from the field and 78 percent from the charity stripe. In the two games she totaled 43 points, 16 rebounds, six blocks and three steals.
The award is the first for Hamson in her basketball career.
Norma Collett is the athletic communications director for the BYU women's basketball team. She can be reached at 801-422-4908 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 112
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans... 19