SANDY — A Sandy man is accused of hosting parties at his house, serving alcohol to minors and then encouraging teen girls to undress and kiss each other while he filmed them.
Jeffrey Joseph Burt, 55, was charged in 3rd District Court with three counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, a second-degree felony; forcible sexual abuse, a second-degree felony; and dealing in harmful materials to a minor, a third-degree felony.
The alleged incidents happened in May of 2010. After an investigation, charges were filed, a warrant was issued for Burt's arrest and he was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on Sunday.
A then 14-year-old girl told investigators that in 2010, she went to a party at a home in Sandy with a then 17-year-old friend. The friend was offered shots of alcohol in Burt's bedroom, charging documents state.
Shortly after consuming the alcohol, the 17-year-old laid on Burt's bed, "belligerently drunk and kissing another girl who (her friend) believed to be about 16 years old," according to the charges.
Burt and another man gave instructions to the girls to perform other actions while he used his cellphone to film them, according to court records.
The 17-year-old told investigators that between May and July of 2010, she attended parties at the house and Burt "provided large amounts of alcohol to underage teenagers," charges state.
A search warrant served on Burt's home resulted in investigators seizing three videos of semi-nude young girls.
In December, Burt pleaded guilty in another incident to a charge of disorderly houses, a class B misdemeanor, in Sandy Justice Court. A charge of having a disorderly house typically means a nuisance house, or a house having a large party. He was given a suspended jail sentence and ordered to pay a fine.
In May of 2011, Burt was convicted of seven counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, a class B misdemeanor, in exchange for three other counts being dropped. He was given a suspended jail sentence and ordered to pay a fine.
In 2010, Burt took a plea in abeyance, pleading no contest to unlawfully supplying alcohol to minors and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, according to court records.
Burt's next court hearing on his current charges is scheduled for March 5.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah man...
- Mia Love announces she's officially running...
- GOP delegates reject changes to nominating...
- Airport TRAX ridership remains strong weeks...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Early diagnosis may be key in slowing...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 65
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 46
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 27
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 27
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 20
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Mormon missionary age announcement... 15
- Swallow headlines spark question:... 12