Shane Koyczan was bullied as a child and is now speaking out. In his latest video, "To This Day," Koyczan powerfully describes the pains and emotional damage that come from being bullied as a child.
The video begins as Koyczan shares his own story of being called "pork chop" throughout his school years. Two other individuals' stories are also shared as Koyczan makes the point that bullying is a problem that needs to be stopped.
"My experiences with violence in schools still echo throughout my life, but standing to face the problem has helped me in immeasurable ways," Koyczan wrote below his YouTube video. "Schools and families are in desperate need of proper tools to confront this problem. This piece is a starting point."
Several websites such as Upworthy.com and Facebook users have been touched by the eight-minute video and have done as Koyczan suggests in his Facebook post: Share it.
"For students, teachers, educators and anyone who needs it. This project is the result of many individual efforts and was done on a budget of love and compassion. Please share with anyone who you think might benefit."
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She is a communications major and editing minor from Brigham Young University.
- Gunman caught after shooting father-in-law in...
- Ogden man shot as he knelt to pray is...
- Dear mom who sometimes feels like a terrible...
- The Superman movies that almost happened
- BYU students win Student Gold ADDY award for...
- Father of toddler basketball star 'Trick Shot...
- BYU grads launch no-caffeine energy product
- Parents rally after Canadian elementary...
- NBA fans attack 11-year-old's national... 36
- Gunman caught after shooting... 20
- New York English teacher assigns... 13
- Parents rally after Canadian elementary... 13
- Dad shares lessons learned from living... 12
- Push for solutions underway to Utah's... 11
- Science and human heart both say dads... 10
- Ogden man shot as he knelt to pray is... 10