Charles Krupa, AP
SALT LAKE CITY — Al Jefferson will be playing tonight against his old team, the Boston Celtics, who drafted him out of Mississippi's Prentiss High School in the 2004 Draft with the 15th overall pick.
He’d love to get a victory against the team he played with for three years, something he hasn’t been able to do in the six years since leaving Boston, going 0-10 against the Celtics with Minnesota and Utah.
Jefferson and the Jazz get a shot in a 7 p.m. game against the Celtics, who have been playing without Rajon Rondo for the past month since he went down with a knee injury
Jefferson downplayed his connection to Boston after Monday’s shootaround, but he talked about playing against Kevin Garnett, who was traded for Jefferson and four other players in July of 2007.
“One thing about Garnett he’s going to take pride in his defense, going to play with high energy,’’ Jefferson said. “He doesn’t seem like he’s 35, 36 years old, he’s going to compete and play at a high level so we’ve got to match his energy.’’
When asked about a “rivalry” with Garnett, Jefferson said. “I wouldn’t say it’s a rivalry. KG loves to compete, I love to compete. If you don’t stand up for yourself and hit him back, he’s going to be dogging you all night. It’s nothing personal, just basketball.’’
Since losing Rondo in late January, the Celtics have gone 9-4 and stand seventh in the Eastern Conference standings. However, Boston is 1-3 on its current Western road trip, including a 92-86 loss at Portland Sunday night.
The Jazz haven't beaten Boston since March of 2010, before Jefferson joined the Jazz that summer.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 45
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25