SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake man pleaded guilty Monday to shooting and killing a man and injuring another.
Michael Eugene Vigil, 36, pleaded guilty to aggravated murder and felony discharge of a firearm, both first-degree felonies, as part of a plea agreement in 3rd District Court. In exchange for his pleas, prosecutors dismissed a count of possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, a second-degree felony, and will recommend that he be sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole.
His sentencing has been set for April 15.
Vigil was charged in connection with a July 28 shooting in which Antonio Vasquez, 33, was killed.
Vasquez and another man, Lee Otero, were visiting Vigil's parents at 440 N. Grant St., when Vigil, who had just arrived at home, "came out the front door and shot Mr. Vasquez and then shot (Otero)," according to charging documents.
Vasquez was found dead from a gunshot wound in Vigil's yard. Vigil apparently pursued Otero, firing several rounds that struck vehicles and buildings along the street. Vigil surrendered when police arrived and Otero was hospitalized after being shot in the chest and arm.
The motive for the shooting remains unclear.
Vasquez's sister, 26-year-old Danielle Lucero, and two other people were shot and killed inside a Midvale home on Feb. 12.
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- West Nile activity discovered in four Utah...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 43
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 20
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 16
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 13