SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake man pleaded guilty Monday to shooting and killing a man and injuring another.
Michael Eugene Vigil, 36, pleaded guilty to aggravated murder and felony discharge of a firearm, both first-degree felonies, as part of a plea agreement in 3rd District Court. In exchange for his pleas, prosecutors dismissed a count of possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, a second-degree felony, and will recommend that he be sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole.
His sentencing has been set for April 15.
Vigil was charged in connection with a July 28 shooting in which Antonio Vasquez, 33, was killed.
Vasquez and another man, Lee Otero, were visiting Vigil's parents at 440 N. Grant St., when Vigil, who had just arrived at home, "came out the front door and shot Mr. Vasquez and then shot (Otero)," according to charging documents.
Vasquez was found dead from a gunshot wound in Vigil's yard. Vigil apparently pursued Otero, firing several rounds that struck vehicles and buildings along the street. Vigil surrendered when police arrived and Otero was hospitalized after being shot in the chest and arm.
The motive for the shooting remains unclear.
Vasquez's sister, 26-year-old Danielle Lucero, and two other people were shot and killed inside a Midvale home on Feb. 12.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 289
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 128
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 73
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35