SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake man pleaded guilty Monday to shooting and killing a man and injuring another.
Michael Eugene Vigil, 36, pleaded guilty to aggravated murder and felony discharge of a firearm, both first-degree felonies, as part of a plea agreement in 3rd District Court. In exchange for his pleas, prosecutors dismissed a count of possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, a second-degree felony, and will recommend that he be sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole.
His sentencing has been set for April 15.
Vigil was charged in connection with a July 28 shooting in which Antonio Vasquez, 33, was killed.
Vasquez and another man, Lee Otero, were visiting Vigil's parents at 440 N. Grant St., when Vigil, who had just arrived at home, "came out the front door and shot Mr. Vasquez and then shot (Otero)," according to charging documents.
Vasquez was found dead from a gunshot wound in Vigil's yard. Vigil apparently pursued Otero, firing several rounds that struck vehicles and buildings along the street. Vigil surrendered when police arrived and Otero was hospitalized after being shot in the chest and arm.
The motive for the shooting remains unclear.
Vasquez's sister, 26-year-old Danielle Lucero, and two other people were shot and killed inside a Midvale home on Feb. 12.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 7
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 6