Lone Peak head coach Quincy Lewis named Naismith HS Coach of the Year
Jason Olson, Deseret Morning News
While Lone Peak's trio of BYU commits have been getting all the on-court highlights, the man orchestrating the show from the sideline received the nation's biggest high school honor.
Knights head coach Quincy Lewis was named the 2013 Naismith Boy's High School Coach of the Year on Monday after guiding the team to a 22-1 regular season record, including a perfect 10-0 in Region 4 play.
Congrats Quincy Lewis of Lone Peak HS on being named the 2013 Boy's High School Coach of the Year! @lonepeakbball @lphssports— Naismith Awards (@NaismithAwards) February 25, 2013
While Lone Peak has flourished under the individual talents of Emery, Haws and Mika, Lewis has impressed both local fans and national pundits with his ability to make in-game adjustements, including his vaunted 1-3-1 zone defense.
Lone Peak students traditionally chant "we love Quincy" in the closing minutes of home games, while the players themselves don't hesitate to speak glowingly of the head coach.
National observers have done the same.
Glad to see Lone Peak (Utah) coach Quincy Lewis win Naismith HS Coach of the Year. By far the best HS team I saw this year.— Brendan Hall (@BHallESPN) February 25, 2013
@naismithawards @lonepeakbball @lphssports Lewis can flat out coach them up! Congrats! Love watching your team compete.— Reggie Rankin (@ReggieRankin) February 25, 2013
The news came as Lone Peak enters the 5A state playoffs in hopes of winning its third consecutive state championship.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's progress...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- Middle Tennessee excited about home game...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 35
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32