Lone Peak head coach Quincy Lewis named Naismith HS Coach of the Year
Jason Olson, Deseret Morning News
While Lone Peak's trio of BYU commits have been getting all the on-court highlights, the man orchestrating the show from the sideline received the nation's biggest high school honor.
Knights head coach Quincy Lewis was named the 2013 Naismith Boy's High School Coach of the Year on Monday after guiding the team to a 22-1 regular season record, including a perfect 10-0 in Region 4 play.
Congrats Quincy Lewis of Lone Peak HS on being named the 2013 Boy's High School Coach of the Year! @lonepeakbball @lphssports— Naismith Awards (@NaismithAwards) February 25, 2013
While Lone Peak has flourished under the individual talents of Emery, Haws and Mika, Lewis has impressed both local fans and national pundits with his ability to make in-game adjustements, including his vaunted 1-3-1 zone defense.
Lone Peak students traditionally chant "we love Quincy" in the closing minutes of home games, while the players themselves don't hesitate to speak glowingly of the head coach.
National observers have done the same.
Glad to see Lone Peak (Utah) coach Quincy Lewis win Naismith HS Coach of the Year. By far the best HS team I saw this year.— Brendan Hall (@BHallESPN) February 25, 2013
@naismithawards @lonepeakbball @lphssports Lewis can flat out coach them up! Congrats! Love watching your team compete.— Reggie Rankin (@ReggieRankin) February 25, 2013
The news came as Lone Peak enters the 5A state playoffs in hopes of winning its third consecutive state championship.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director of...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- Little offense as main players sit out Ute...
- BYU's Jaylen Reyes provides invaluable...
- 2015 Utah high school football schedules...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 89
- Ultimate football road trips:... 47
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 38
- Morning links: BYU close to a new... 34
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU edges Utah, 7-6, with eighth-inning... 32
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29