Negotiating a salary is something the majority of companies are willing to do but few employees take advantage of, according to an article by Rebecca Thorman, a financial writer for Yahoo.
After you are offered the job but before you sign the offer is the time to discuss your salary. Thorman suggests researching a fair salary for your experience and occupation. Then, practice asking for a bit more than the salary you want to allow for negotiation.
The conversation may go something like this, according to Thorman’s article:
“"I'm really excited to work here, and I know that I will bring a lot of value. I appreciate the offer at $58,000, but was really expecting to be in the $65,000 range based on my experience, drive, and performance. Can we look at a salary of $65,000 for this position?"
Expect rejection at first, but don’t give up on the conversation.
"So glad to hear you're looking forward to working with us. We're really looking forward to having you. The salary we offered is what we have budgeted for the position and we feel it's a fair compensation."
Follow up the comment by staying respectful but confident in your abilities by saying something like, "I understand where you're coming from, and just want to reiterate my enthusiasm for the position and working with you and the team. I think my skills are perfectly suited for this position, and are worth $65,000."
The employer will probably discuss and then come back with an offer. It might not be what you proposed, but that is why you project a little high. You never know if you don’t ask.
- Top 10 money mistakes new parents make
- How the 'world's best counterfeiter' got away...
- 4 common winter house hazards and how to fix...
- How 'Shark Tank' investor Daymond John...
- The marriage between economic success and...
- How saving for retirement requires change in...
- Smaller down payments are the wrong solution...
- Balancing act: Stress, burnout, mistakes top...
- 3 reasons Utah is a great place for... 4
- How one woman got rid of $20,000 in... 3
- Charity, it does a body good 3
- 5 questions to ask on the way to the ER 3
- Stocks mostly lower as oil sinks,... 2
- Smartphone data encryption causing... 2
- This billionaire is going to die broke... 2
- The marriage between economic success... 2