Negotiating a salary is something the majority of companies are willing to do but few employees take advantage of, according to an article by Rebecca Thorman, a financial writer for Yahoo.
After you are offered the job but before you sign the offer is the time to discuss your salary. Thorman suggests researching a fair salary for your experience and occupation. Then, practice asking for a bit more than the salary you want to allow for negotiation.
The conversation may go something like this, according to Thorman’s article:
“"I'm really excited to work here, and I know that I will bring a lot of value. I appreciate the offer at $58,000, but was really expecting to be in the $65,000 range based on my experience, drive, and performance. Can we look at a salary of $65,000 for this position?"
Expect rejection at first, but don’t give up on the conversation.
"So glad to hear you're looking forward to working with us. We're really looking forward to having you. The salary we offered is what we have budgeted for the position and we feel it's a fair compensation."
Follow up the comment by staying respectful but confident in your abilities by saying something like, "I understand where you're coming from, and just want to reiterate my enthusiasm for the position and working with you and the team. I think my skills are perfectly suited for this position, and are worth $65,000."
The employer will probably discuss and then come back with an offer. It might not be what you proposed, but that is why you project a little high. You never know if you don’t ask.
- A solution to paying that medical bill you...
- Navy vet says the effects of this are like...
- Restaurants experimenting with pay-in-advance...
- How depression threatens financial well-being
- 7 benefits of taking vacation time
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000 —...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but hold...
- The 20 best cities to live in for first-time...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 15
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 10
- Food stamp use shows continued... 7
- Want to increase attraction in your... 7
- Balancing act: Readers dispute... 4
- A solution to paying that medical bill... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make... 4
- Middle-class shoppers more sensitive to... 1