Reports: 49ers have agreed to deal Alex Smith, likely to Chiefs
Even as future NFL quarterback hopefuls performed on-field drills during the league's scouting combine Sunday in Indianapolis, it was a former No. 1 draft pick quarterback that was creating quite a buzz.
According to reports, the 49ers have agreed to trade Alex Smith, the former Utah quarterback who was taken first by San Francisco in the 2005 NFL Draft.
The where and how of a possible deal have yet to be released, however, as a trade could not be finalized until the league year opens on March 12.
CBS NFL insider Jason LaCanfora tweeted that San Francisco has "expressed to others that a deal for Alex Smith is effectively complete."
The Kansas City Chiefs (KC) have been rumored to be interested in acquiring Smith for some time; during Super Bowl week, reports surfaced that new Kansas City coach Andy Reid "really liked" Smith and his mobility.
The estimation that Smith could be headed to the Jacksonville Jaguars (JAX) was rebuted. Ryan O'Halloran of the Florida Times-Union said Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell told him via text that it's "not us" that is interested in signing the former Ute.
NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal backed up the rumors indicating Smith would soon become a Chief, saying, "Everywhere I go in Indianapolis, I hear someone say that the Alex Smith-to-Kansas City Chiefs deal is all but done."
Another indication Smith could be headed to Kansas City came from a report by USA Today that quarterback Matt Cassel, who's struggled in his four years with the Chiefs, "is destined to be released soon." Cassel started the first eight games of 2012 for Kansas City before being benched. In those eight games, his record was just 1-7 and he had a passer rating of 66.7, 32nd in the NFL. Cassel's release would open a spot on the Chiefs' roster for Smith.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- BYU football: Suspensions impacting both BYU...
- Cougars in the pros: Lasike scores first pro...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- BYU at Nebraska football: How to watch and...
- Hill-led BYU offense looking for strong...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Sept. 4
- Utah football: Utes outlast Michigan to win...
- Brad Rock: Utes to Harbaugh: Update your...
- Utah football: Utes outlast Michigan to... 114
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 80
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 74
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has... 44
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 37
- Brad Rock: Take expletives, not... 36
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 30