Reports: 49ers have agreed to deal Alex Smith, likely to Chiefs
Even as future NFL quarterback hopefuls performed on-field drills during the league's scouting combine Sunday in Indianapolis, it was a former No. 1 draft pick quarterback that was creating quite a buzz.
According to reports, the 49ers have agreed to trade Alex Smith, the former Utah quarterback who was taken first by San Francisco in the 2005 NFL Draft.
The where and how of a possible deal have yet to be released, however, as a trade could not be finalized until the league year opens on March 12.
CBS NFL insider Jason LaCanfora tweeted that San Francisco has "expressed to others that a deal for Alex Smith is effectively complete."
The Kansas City Chiefs (KC) have been rumored to be interested in acquiring Smith for some time; during Super Bowl week, reports surfaced that new Kansas City coach Andy Reid "really liked" Smith and his mobility.
The estimation that Smith could be headed to the Jacksonville Jaguars (JAX) was rebuted. Ryan O'Halloran of the Florida Times-Union said Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell told him via text that it's "not us" that is interested in signing the former Ute.
NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal backed up the rumors indicating Smith would soon become a Chief, saying, "Everywhere I go in Indianapolis, I hear someone say that the Alex Smith-to-Kansas City Chiefs deal is all but done."
Another indication Smith could be headed to Kansas City came from a report by USA Today that quarterback Matt Cassel, who's struggled in his four years with the Chiefs, "is destined to be released soon." Cassel started the first eight games of 2012 for Kansas City before being benched. In those eight games, his record was just 1-7 and he had a passer rating of 66.7, 32nd in the NFL. Cassel's release would open a spot on the Chiefs' roster for Smith.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Ranking the best free agents in the NBA
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents may...
- Jazz in talks with German center Pleiss,...
- High school sports: Nearly 650 athletes...
- Utah Jazz bolster coaching staff on first day...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 77
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 51
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 27
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 25