PORTLAND, Ore. — Utah Valley University surrendered a five-run seventh in dropping the series finale, 7-3, at the University of Portland on Sunday at Joe Etzel Field. The win for the Pilots salvages the third game of the series after the Wolverines won the first two on Saturday.
Mark Krueger had a two-out, two-run double as part of a three-run fifth to give UVU (3-4) a 3-1 lead. Riley White also had an RBI single prior to Krueger’s double that started the scoring in the frame.
Court Zollinger, who led off the fifth with a single, scored on White’s hit with Jordy Hart and White both scoring on the double from Krueger.
With Utah Valley leading 3-2 entering the bottom of the seventh, the Pilots (2-6) sent nine hitters to the plate. Portland took advantage of three walks in the inning, all of which came in to score. Portland also had three hits in the frame, first tying it on an infield single from Chet Thompson.
Kramer Scott drove in the go-ahead run on a fielder’s choice before Colin Sowers’ RBI base hit plated Scott and extended Portland’s advantage to 5-3. Cody Lenahan added another two-out single that plated both Brian Frattali and Sowers to give the Pilots a four-run cushion.
Both teams finished with nine hits on the afternoon, with UVU getting two each from White, Zollinger and Hart. Danny Beddes (0-1) suffered the loss for the Wolverines, while Jeremy Burright (1-1) picked up the win. Billy Sahlinger came in with two on and no outs in the ninth and retired the next three hitters to earn the save.
The Wolverines will now head to Tucson for a two-game midweek series at 2012 College World Series champion Arizona. First pitch Tuesday is set for 6 p.m. with a 1 p.m. start on Wednesday against the national champion and 10th ranked Wildcats, who are 7-1 on the season. Both games can be heard live on WolverineGreen.com. From there, UVU will play three games at future WAC foe Sacramento State on the weekend.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- High school football: Hillcrest Huskies 2015...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16