Third is enhancing the overall decision-making ability within the offense. “This means knowing the keys, key reads, key defenders, how to decide where the play needs to go and working through progressions.”
Fourth is position mastery. “This includes taking into account on each and every play what their assignment is and what is the detail of their job, so they can clearly understand and execute their position mastery on every play (footwork, throwing motion, looking off and not locking in a receiver, using protection).
Fifth is leadership. “A quarterback has to be a leader. He has to effectively make everyone around him elevate their level of play, to bring the offense together as a unit and operate at a higher level of production and execution.”
Beck had other opportunities to go other places after a season at Simon Fraser. He could have stayed and received a pay raise, say his friends. But he chose to come back to the same place he picked as a recruited JC All-American out of College of the Canyons.
He is, as one would say, a guy who drinks the BYU Kool-Aid.
“I really am,” said Beck.
“I was that way as a player when recruited here. I wanted to be here and I’ve felt the same way ever since. I love this place and what it represents and coach Mendenhall’s vision and expectations for this program. I think it’s really exciting and unique and a special opportunity to be a part of.”
Beck follows in a long line of interesting folks at this QB coach position. People like Doug Scovil, Mike Holmgren, Norm Chow, Bosco, Crowton and Doman.
It is a chance to carve out a nitch he hopes for the good.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21