Third is enhancing the overall decision-making ability within the offense. “This means knowing the keys, key reads, key defenders, how to decide where the play needs to go and working through progressions.”
Fourth is position mastery. “This includes taking into account on each and every play what their assignment is and what is the detail of their job, so they can clearly understand and execute their position mastery on every play (footwork, throwing motion, looking off and not locking in a receiver, using protection).
Fifth is leadership. “A quarterback has to be a leader. He has to effectively make everyone around him elevate their level of play, to bring the offense together as a unit and operate at a higher level of production and execution.”
Beck had other opportunities to go other places after a season at Simon Fraser. He could have stayed and received a pay raise, say his friends. But he chose to come back to the same place he picked as a recruited JC All-American out of College of the Canyons.
He is, as one would say, a guy who drinks the BYU Kool-Aid.
“I really am,” said Beck.
“I was that way as a player when recruited here. I wanted to be here and I’ve felt the same way ever since. I love this place and what it represents and coach Mendenhall’s vision and expectations for this program. I think it’s really exciting and unique and a special opportunity to be a part of.”
Beck follows in a long line of interesting folks at this QB coach position. People like Doug Scovil, Mike Holmgren, Norm Chow, Bosco, Crowton and Doman.
It is a chance to carve out a nitch he hopes for the good.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- First steps: Utes open season with... 56
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 45
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42