Third is enhancing the overall decision-making ability within the offense. “This means knowing the keys, key reads, key defenders, how to decide where the play needs to go and working through progressions.”
Fourth is position mastery. “This includes taking into account on each and every play what their assignment is and what is the detail of their job, so they can clearly understand and execute their position mastery on every play (footwork, throwing motion, looking off and not locking in a receiver, using protection).
Fifth is leadership. “A quarterback has to be a leader. He has to effectively make everyone around him elevate their level of play, to bring the offense together as a unit and operate at a higher level of production and execution.”
Beck had other opportunities to go other places after a season at Simon Fraser. He could have stayed and received a pay raise, say his friends. But he chose to come back to the same place he picked as a recruited JC All-American out of College of the Canyons.
He is, as one would say, a guy who drinks the BYU Kool-Aid.
“I really am,” said Beck.
“I was that way as a player when recruited here. I wanted to be here and I’ve felt the same way ever since. I love this place and what it represents and coach Mendenhall’s vision and expectations for this program. I think it’s really exciting and unique and a special opportunity to be a part of.”
Beck follows in a long line of interesting folks at this QB coach position. People like Doug Scovil, Mike Holmgren, Norm Chow, Bosco, Crowton and Doman.
It is a chance to carve out a nitch he hopes for the good.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in...
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- National champion Sam Mikulak leads US men's...
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 50
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 16