BYU track: men's track takes sixth place at MPSF Championships
SEATTLE – Fan Fan Charles took fourth place in the 60-meter dash finals on Saturday at Dempsey Indoor Facility, helping BYU to a sixth-place finish with 46 points.
Charles finished the race with a time of 6.87, a tenth of a second off his season-best mark of 6.77.
"Some very good things happened for us today," head coach Mark Robison said. "It was nice to see Fan running in top shape this weekend. We had some heptathlon athletes compete better than we expected and a few other athletes had some lifetime-best performances. I was very pleased."
BYU had three athletes earn a combined seven points in the men's heptathlon. Joshua Weirich (5,163), Chase Dalton (5,031) and Isaac Robison (5,027) took fifth, sixth and seventh place, respectively. The scores for Weirich and Robison were their best marks of the season.
In the 800-meter run, David Graham took third overall with a time of 1:50.62. He earned six points for BYU with his third-place finish.
A fifth-place finish by Tommy Gruenewald in the 3,000-meter run earned another four points for the Cougars. Gruenewald finished the race with a time of 8:07.21. Taylor Farnsworth also competed in the event and took 14th place in 8:14.01.
Tylor Thatcher set a personal record in the mile with a time of 4:07.95. Despite his impressive time, Thatcher took 18th overall in an event that featured four runners who broke the four-minute mark.
Cade Lindahl scored a point for BYU, finishing eighth in the 400-meter dash with a time of 48.20. Korey Smith also ran in the 400 for the Cougars, finishing 25th overall in 49.51. The 4 x 400-meter relay team of Lindahl, Smith, Graham and Ryan Waite finished in 9th place with a time of 3:16.92.
The Cougars will have a week off before sending athletes to Fayetteville, Ark., for the NCAA National Indoor Championships.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at email@example.com.
- Reasons for Travis Wilson's confidence:...
- Saturday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU report card: Defense holds its own...
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn, 30-13,...
- Brad Rock: Kent Myers should have started for...
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to Utah next...
- Utah high school football roundup: Frantic...
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage in...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- Dick Harmon: After week of soul... 40
- Utah's win over Oregon proof of what... 24
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 23
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 22
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 21
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 18