BYU track: men's track takes sixth place at MPSF Championships
SEATTLE – Fan Fan Charles took fourth place in the 60-meter dash finals on Saturday at Dempsey Indoor Facility, helping BYU to a sixth-place finish with 46 points.
Charles finished the race with a time of 6.87, a tenth of a second off his season-best mark of 6.77.
"Some very good things happened for us today," head coach Mark Robison said. "It was nice to see Fan running in top shape this weekend. We had some heptathlon athletes compete better than we expected and a few other athletes had some lifetime-best performances. I was very pleased."
BYU had three athletes earn a combined seven points in the men's heptathlon. Joshua Weirich (5,163), Chase Dalton (5,031) and Isaac Robison (5,027) took fifth, sixth and seventh place, respectively. The scores for Weirich and Robison were their best marks of the season.
In the 800-meter run, David Graham took third overall with a time of 1:50.62. He earned six points for BYU with his third-place finish.
A fifth-place finish by Tommy Gruenewald in the 3,000-meter run earned another four points for the Cougars. Gruenewald finished the race with a time of 8:07.21. Taylor Farnsworth also competed in the event and took 14th place in 8:14.01.
Tylor Thatcher set a personal record in the mile with a time of 4:07.95. Despite his impressive time, Thatcher took 18th overall in an event that featured four runners who broke the four-minute mark.
Cade Lindahl scored a point for BYU, finishing eighth in the 400-meter dash with a time of 48.20. Korey Smith also ran in the 400 for the Cougars, finishing 25th overall in 49.51. The 4 x 400-meter relay team of Lindahl, Smith, Graham and Ryan Waite finished in 9th place with a time of 3:16.92.
The Cougars will have a week off before sending athletes to Fayetteville, Ark., for the NCAA National Indoor Championships.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 48
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28