High school boys basketball roundup: South Summit claims victory in 2A consolation bracket
CEDAR CITY — The South Summit Wildcats took a step forward in the 2A consolation bracket Friday, defeating Waterford 61-53 in overtime.
Beau Rydalch scored a game-high 22 points and had five rebounds to boost the Wildcats. Senior Garrett Crystal added 12 points and four boards along with three steals while Porter Lewis had a team-best nine rebounds with six points and two assists.
South Summit shot 33.9 percent from the field, hit five 3-pointers and had 13 steals.
The Wildcats and Ravens traded off controlling the lead each quarter before falling into a 51-51 lock at the end of regulation. South Summit's defense stifled the Ravens in the extra period, limiting them to just one field goal.
Hunt also blocked four shots and Millet had a team-high five boards.
SUMMIT ACADEMY 65, NORTH SUMMIT 64: Ashton Richards hit the game-winning 3-pointer from the baseline as time expired to boost the Bears in the 2A consolation bracket Friday.
After scoring just seven points in the opening quarter, Summit Academy dumped in 22 in the fourth to rally to victory and advance to Saturday play.
Richards finished with a team-high 17 points and hit four total 3-pointers.
Cameron Smith totaled a game-high 21 points and had three steals for the Braves. Landon Richins grabbed 17 rebounds and had three blocks along with his nine points. And Ben Stephens scored 15 points with three steals.
South Summit and Summit Academy will play in the fifth-place game at 10 a.m. Saturday at Canyon View High.
Sarah Thomas is a graduate of the University of Utah and has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30