High school boys basketball roundup: South Summit claims victory in 2A consolation bracket
CEDAR CITY — The South Summit Wildcats took a step forward in the 2A consolation bracket Friday, defeating Waterford 61-53 in overtime.
Beau Rydalch scored a game-high 22 points and had five rebounds to boost the Wildcats. Senior Garrett Crystal added 12 points and four boards along with three steals while Porter Lewis had a team-best nine rebounds with six points and two assists.
South Summit shot 33.9 percent from the field, hit five 3-pointers and had 13 steals.
The Wildcats and Ravens traded off controlling the lead each quarter before falling into a 51-51 lock at the end of regulation. South Summit's defense stifled the Ravens in the extra period, limiting them to just one field goal.
Hunt also blocked four shots and Millet had a team-high five boards.
SUMMIT ACADEMY 65, NORTH SUMMIT 64: Ashton Richards hit the game-winning 3-pointer from the baseline as time expired to boost the Bears in the 2A consolation bracket Friday.
After scoring just seven points in the opening quarter, Summit Academy dumped in 22 in the fourth to rally to victory and advance to Saturday play.
Richards finished with a team-high 17 points and hit four total 3-pointers.
Cameron Smith totaled a game-high 21 points and had three steals for the Braves. Landon Richins grabbed 17 rebounds and had three blocks along with his nine points. And Ben Stephens scored 15 points with three steals.
South Summit and Summit Academy will play in the fifth-place game at 10 a.m. Saturday at Canyon View High.
Sarah Thomas is a graduate of the University of Utah and has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star athletes...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: Grading the Jazz's...
- No timeline set to find Utah Jazz's new head...
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full...
- Rock On: Lighten up, Gordon Hayward
- Speculation begins about who the next Utah...
- High school sports: Tuesday's roundup
- U. student government passes resolution... 101
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract... 56
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star... 41
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 26
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep... 24
- Speculation begins about who the next... 24
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 19